Sponsored by:

First track day

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008 | 02:36 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Default First track day

was on Friday in the Banana at Brainerd. Temp was mid-30's. Dry at first and then it started raining. Remainder of event canceled at around 3pm because of snow. While I've done a jillion laps at BIR and many other tracks, this was the first time in a car with real power unlike the underpowered sh*tboxes I've driven previously. I must say that I've never felt so stable and in control of a car in the rain (fwiw I love to drive in the rain) - control of the line and attitude of the car was almost like a direct connection. Grip was surprisingly good given the temps - tires are Bridgestone RE050A PP's. Needless to say, oil temps were not a concern. Good stuff.
Old 04-28-2008 | 07:25 PM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

Hi Doug, now look what you have done! It wont ever stop, you know.........day after day at the track and thousands of dollars upon thousands of dollars on that next little thing you really need...no, seriously need to squeeze the last few tenths of a second from that lap you did in the third session!

Good luck with your track work and keep em coming!
Old 04-28-2008 | 11:45 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Doug, glad to read that you enjoyed it. You're done, downhill now, you know it right?
Old 04-29-2008 | 09:46 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

While I may do a few more things to the car (you can never have too much power), I'll not be doing many track days with it other than the odd one here or there. If I decide to get serious about the track again, it'll be in a dedicated race car - formula or sports racer.
Old 04-29-2008 | 11:31 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Ugh, I hate track driving in the rain. Rear end steps out easily with hardly any warning.
Old 04-29-2008 | 11:40 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

probably the one time you wish you'd kept the AWD
Old 04-29-2008 | 12:01 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Acropora
Ugh, I hate track driving in the rain. Rear end steps out easily with hardly any warning.
Hoosier rains may help with that. Granted your car has more power than mine but my car is quite planted with the those tires in the rain. Just have to keep the power delivery more linear esp with 3rd gear. Got me through Grattan this past weekend. That is until my Forgeline cracked open and I lost all tire pressure after the hump

Quick Reply: First track day