Sponsored by:

Ruf 993 - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:45 PM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ruf 993 - Pics

Sorry it took so long to post pics. I've been very busy the last couple weeks.

This is the 1997 C4S that was sent to Ruf in Germany for a full Turbo R conversion. The car was in very good shape for a 65k miles car. The car has a few rock chips on the front end, but other then that almost perfect.

After getting the car I put on new badges, gave it a good detail (including cleaning out 11 years worth of dirt from the wheels wells), and replacing a few missing bits such as the rear cargo straps (which I converted to red to match the seat belts).

The Ruf motor has about 17k miles on it. It dynoed at 500hp/580tq at the Ruf factory and was 200 mph certified.

Unfortunately, I am thinking that I'm going to sell it if I can get enought for it. As I had posted here before, I sold my 993 Cab for a Coupe or TT as a driver and maybe DE car. I don't think this car will work for this purpose. A little too collectible.

I will make a decision in the next couple days.

In the meantime, here are some pics:

Old 04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Bill,

The car looks great. Nice "clean-up" job. I wonder why it has those Euro fender markers? Rear-seat delete is an excellent option. The car looks like its sits pretty high... what sort of suspension is on it?

I think there are a number of Rennlisters that could be very interested in that car (dpending upon price), and you may know a few of them. I hope this works out for everyone! Best luck.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics at last, this was the bargain of the century right?
The money you gave for that car would make me want to keep it, don't worry about the collect-ability of it, anyone looking for a Ruf will no doubt be aware of it now anyway. Drive it, track it, thrash the **** off it and count your lucky stars
Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

this would be a great driver de car. I am not sure why you think otherwise. you stole this car so enjoy it. btw: doesn't RUF put a sticker on the engine compartment?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:58 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

There was no Ruf sticker on my intercooler... until I painted the cover and added one.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 PM
bill930p
Racer

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Bill,

I wonder why it has those Euro fender markers?

I believe it had to be done to legally drive it in Germany. I know the previous owner had a European delivery from Ruf. Plus there was a certification done by Ruf on the Autobaun.

Bill,

what sort of suspension is on it?
I believe it is stock. Not sure as all the paperwork is in German.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:53 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car looks like its sits pretty high... what sort of suspension is on it?
Originally Posted by bill930p
I believe it is stock. Not sure as all the paperwork is in German.
This is the 1997 C4S that was sent to Ruf in Germany for a full Turbo R conversion.
Did the full Turbo R conversion ever include suspension?

Found this on the web:
"As a part of the Turbo R package, Ruf substitutes his uprated spring and damper kit, which takes 1.5 inches out of the European Turbo�s ride height and drops U.S. models even more. Combined with larger anti-roll bars, the suspension modifications reduce body roll and make the stock Turbo feel soft. "

From Ruf website:
RUF Turbo R conversion kit
"Completed by RUF five-spoke alloys, chassis modifications include uprated springs & dampers lowering the car´s ride height, larger anti-roll bars help reduce body roll, adding to a much sportier set-up compared to the relatively soft factory Turbo."

Thread from the 993 forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/422015-ruf-turbo-r-pics.html
Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

When you do a conversion, in Germany anyway, all of this is optional. You can have just the motor done, motor+suspension, motor+suspension+ brakes. Seats, or not. Integrated roll cage, or not, etc. It's all up to the buyer. My car was in Paffenhausen the same time as pmf's, but we decided on different things.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bb993tt
When you do a conversion, in Germany anyway, all of this is optional. You can have just the motor done, motor+suspension, motor+suspension+ brakes. Seats, or not. Integrated roll cage, or not, etc. It's all up to the buyer. My car was in Paffenhausen the same time as pmf's, but we decided on different things.
Certainly understand that everything in the conversion can be purchased a-la-carte. Its most likely the same way here in the States for Ruf as well as in Germany.

Just the engine alone is probably worth the price of admission and that's what makes bill930p recent purchase a steal.

However, its bill930p that mentions the 993 has the full Turbo R conversion.

And other posters here inquired about the suspension.

Trying to understand what consitutes a full Turbo R conversion.

And does the engine alone convert this C4S into a Ruf Turbo R car or is it simply a C4S with a Ruf Turbo R engine?

It kinda reminds me of another thread where there was a debate regarding which Ruf car is real, one with a Ruf VIN or Ruf conversion on a Porsche VIN?

I don't want this thread turning into a debate but only love to see the insights shared by those here.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I believe that Ruf considers any car with a Turbo R engine to be a Turbo R. The word "full" was probably an unfortunate selection, since that has other implications, as has been pointed out.

When I bought Rufus, he had the engine & cooler, the suspension, the wheels, 3 of the pedals, the floor mats, and the strut-tower brace... all from Ruf. The front CTR bumper had been fitted, damaged, and was replaced with the stock part... the Ruf bumper arrived in a box. I added the dead pedal, the brakes, both bumpers, the a-piller fairings, mirrors, steering wheel, shifter, and seats. Still to go: the instruments, and the roll cage with shaved gutters. I'm a nitwit and Rufaholic, but I may pass on these last bits!

The owner of the subject car can have a great project (and money sink) and add some of the other Ruf bits to suit his taste. Obviously, my taste would be to make the car more unique. But they are all Turbo R cars.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:23 PM
bill930p
Racer

Originally Posted by canysmc
Certainly understand that everything in the conversion can be purchased a-la-carte. Its most likely the same way here in the States for Ruf as well as in Germany.

Just the engine alone is probably worth the price of admission and that's what makes bill930p recent purchase a steal.

However, its bill930p that mentions the 993 has the full Turbo R conversion.

And other posters here inquired about the suspension.

Trying to understand what consitutes a full Turbo R conversion.

And does the engine alone convert this C4S into a Ruf Turbo R car or is it simply a C4S with a Ruf Turbo R engine?

It kinda reminds me of another thread where there was a debate regarding which Ruf car is real, one with a Ruf VIN or Ruf conversion on a Porsche VIN?

I don't want this thread turning into a debate but only love to see the insights shared by those here.
Your right I shouldn't use the word "full".

From my understanding, because the car was a C4S (already had the Turbo brakes and suspension) only the engine, ECU, and exhaust were done. They did however add a strut tower brace.

I'm sure price also had something to do with it. The total Ruf bill was for $40k.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

The total Ruf bill was for $40k.
And you got the car for less than the Ruf bill.....nice
Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM
clubrsr993
Racer

Bill - Congrats again. If you end up selling this car I'll offer your $5k more - $40k
Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. Beautiful car!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice Bill! My twin...

Quick Reply: Ruf 993 - Pics