Sponsored by:

993 Turbo - King of the Hill

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:00 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Don't know if you're referring to tract performance only, or just specification numbers (HP, tq, 0-60, top speed etc.). But in nay case, I'd say any contemporary Ruf will give the 993tt a good run for the money.

Track-wise, a well set up (certainly not factory version) Miata can hang with a 993tt in tight tracks (not big ovals).

Then I can only think of Z06s.

CP
Ruf is a modified porsche, right?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:49 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
Ruf is a modified porsche, right?
Right for a conversion. Ruf VIN cars are a different category altogether IMHO.

CP
Old 03-23-2008, 02:11 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
steve, the 512 testarossa was last sold in 94 or 95 so you're about right on the money with the era. big difference is that the italian stuff has always been about 50%-150% more cash. The Zr1 vette from 1994 or so was a good performer, but not as well rounded as the 993TT.
Testarossa's performance wise couldn't touch a 993tt and even the 512 would be lagging. I've raced many of these and even track prepared they are, to be polite not on the same pace. F40's are my favorite ferrari. The are worthy and more so even to a moded 993tt. However, the 3.8 993tt will eat their lunch even in their modified form. Downside on the F40 is weak brakes, and the chassis flex leaves their owners sometimes unable to open their doors after very intense sessions.

I've never encounter an F1 McLaren which is so cool. Why do you think they have two passenger seats? This car has no weaknesses. I would take an orange one for my fantasy car collection.

ZR1, aka: boat motor vette, due to engine made by mercury marine. These cars has serious issues when tracked. I did see a twin caliper with water cooling on one at Buttonwillow which was really a cool set up. Modded 944 tubo's cleaned their clock.

The new Ruf cars are blinding fast and I've not had an opportunity to see them on the track. I've raced several of the 993 variant including the CRT Sport. I will say I'm very happy with my Andial motor.

CP
I've seen those track modified Miata's, and they do very well in short auto cross courses and most likely will post better times than a stock 993tt. I followed one of these giant killer just to see if I could keep up in the tight sections on a road course. Sorry to say, they are no match for an equally set up 993tt that is still street legal.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:01 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Jimmy,

Great input. No doubt, once a 99Xtt gets the proper track suspension (Monoball etc.) it'll kill the spec. Miata. Greg's 996tt is stock all around.

CP
Old 03-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I was shopping for the fastest car in 1996, the only cars I recall looking at were the Ruf cars, 993 TT, F40, F50, 959 and Viper. I don't recall there being any faster cars, except the McLaren of course. I went for the 993 TT mainly because of price and bought a Viper a few years later. I still own my 993 TT (Ruf converted) 12 years later and still enjoy it. As JJayB point out, it's still one of the fastest cars today when just slightly modified and is also rare and hardly seen on the road. I think because it's small with great visibility, it's easy for a non-professional driver to drive very fast, even though the newer cars are stiffer with better suspensions.

BTW, many people wave at the 993 TT even today because it was the first Porsche twin-turbo for the US and the fastest 0-60 around (3.6 is even fast today, with the Ruf Turbo R doing 3.3!). The magazines were all over it for many years. I think that really helps keep its value, which, in my opinion, will continue to climb when the younger people with 993 TT posters on their walls can afford to buy one for nostalgic reasons.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

younger people with 993 TT posters on their walls can afford to buy one for nostalgic reasons.
that would be me
Old 03-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Scrooge
Advanced

Default Ferrari Competitor

Ferrari introduced the 550 Maranello into the US market for MY 1997, and if memory serves, it posted somewhat similar acceleration numbers to the 993TT and a higher top speed in period road tests. That said, the 550, twelve-cylinder grand tourer that it is, likely cannot compete with the more sporting 993TT on the track, particularly lap after lap as its weight takes a toll on its (arguably) insufficient brakes. Different missions, to be sure, but both cars, IMHO, deserve a place in the pantheon of mid-90s greats.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Was there a 12-cylinder Ferrari available at about the 1996 era? The mighty F40 (stratospheric pricing) may have been a contemporary as well as the 512TR. I don't believe that these models were truly "faster" than our 993TTs (perhaps a tiny bit?), but in the same ballpark. I'm afraid I don't know the Ferrari model line-up very well; if someone were to give me one for free, I still couldn't afford it.
The Ferrari F40 was at one time the fastest production car, till the McLauren came along. The F40 was capable of 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. The car was scorching fast and unbelievable handling. The F40 can still hang with the exotics of today either on the track or road. The F40 was designed for the race track. As for the Testarossa production ended in 1994 with the 512TR which was really never a threat to the 993 Turbo. The Testarossa was beautiful, but never as potient as the F40. With 400 horsepower it was one of the last V12''s Ferrari produced. Owning and maintaining a Ferrari like one of these is very tough on the wallet. The only Ferrari I would consider owning is the 328 GTS, one of the best built Ferraris. Just my two cents.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Streetfighter
The Ferrari F40 was at one time the fastest production car, till the McLauren came along. The F40 was capable of 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. The car was scorching fast and unbelievable handling. The F40 can still hang with the exotics of today either on the track or road. The F40 was designed for the race track. As for the Testarossa production ended in 1994 with the 512TR which was really never a threat to the 993 Turbo. The Testarossa was beautiful, but never as potient as the F40. With 400 horsepower it was one of the last V12''s Ferrari produced. Owning and maintaining a Ferrari like one of these is very tough on the wallet. The only Ferrari I would consider owning is the 328 GTS, one of the best built Ferraris. Just my two cents.
The 3.2 0-60 might be the times for the F40 LM that competed in IMSA in the 89 and 90 season. They had factory upgrades to 700 hp. The regular version were rated at "only" 3.7 0-60 according to EVO. Unfortunately, many owners kept them in low milage condition never tracking their valuable investments.
I have had the pleasure in running against two at the Ferrari/ Pantera club events. This is the Ferrari I'd have in my collection, because it wasn't a poser it was a real racer. I think the prices reflect that.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:18 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Right for a conversion. Ruf VIN cars are a different category altogether IMHO.

CP
I've never even seen a Ruf, so I'm talking out of my rear here, but I take issue with this statement. Just because Ruf has a VIN does not make them a real car manufacturer in my book. They are modifying Porsches just like any other tuner. They arguably do a better job, but changing shocks, cams and tuning a manufacturer does not make.

Greg H.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
I've never even seen a Ruf, so I'm talking out of my rear here, but I take issue with this statement. Just because Ruf has a VIN does not make them a real car manufacturer in my book. They are modifying Porsches just like any other tuner. They arguably do a better job, but changing shocks, cams and tuning a manufacturer does not make.

Greg H.
+1
The "Manufacturer" status is purely a German "technicality" where cars which start as a "body in white" require a VIN - Techart have it as do 9ff.

Ruf fans love the mystique around the brand and arguably Ruf do make the best mix of components but it is still very much a Porsche.

One problem with Ruf VIN's (at least in the UK) is getting them insured since no insurer lists "Ruf" - my CTR1 was Porsche VIN and I simply insured it as a modified '89 Carrera
Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
arguably Ruf do make the best mix of components but it is still very much a Porsche.
The Porsche 997GT2 in stock form beat the RT12 at the Nurburgring.

But I do think RUF produces really nice cars
Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM
nicu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg H.
?????
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nicu
?????
That's different, and Ruf didn't make anything like that in the 90s.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Stummel
Pro

...Just because Ruf has a VIN does not make them a real car manufacturer in my book. They are modifying Porsches just like any other tuner. They arguably do a better job, but changing shocks, cams and tuning a manufacturer does not make.

Greg H.

Maybe today Ruf is more manufacturer than Porsche?
It is hardly more than just putting finished components together with poor quality and doing lots of marketing BS.

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo - King of the Hill