Sponsored by:

mechanic in LA

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008 | 12:59 AM
jcaine
Advanced

Default mechanic in LA

Hi,

I posted awhile back asking about a mechanic in or around LA west side... Some of you recommended Mike at rusnak but he is apparently "taking some time off" and some of you recommended Ottos's in Venice. I couldn't get a hold of Mike so I went to Otto... I'm not one to dis anyone but it was not an excellent experience. I raced professionally for alot of years so I'm quite familiar with cranky, quirky old race mechanics but Otto was a bit over the top, shop was a bit dodgy, and most importantly, he knew precious little about 993tt's... couldn't diagnose the stiff clutch pedal that you guys had sussed out in 5 minutes... of course he didn’t mind test driving my tt and running it “up to 130”…

What's the story?... are there any REAL mechanics left or is it all just "technicians" who plug in the diagnostic computer and start replacing "modules"?... or old school 911 guys who don’t know the nuances of our cars?... I'm desperate for a real mechanic fsmiliar with 993 tt’s to service my car...

Please help.

Thx
Old 03-10-2008 | 06:08 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

West LA is a little tough now that Red Line is closed. You need to go either north or south.

Callas Rennsport in Torrance is very good and very 993-savvy but usually doesn't accept new customers unless they're referred by existing ones--probably not a problem for Rennlist members.

TRE Motorsports in North Hollywood/Van Nuys is also quite good.

Agree with you about Ottos, by the way...
Old 03-10-2008 | 01:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Talk to Tony Callas in Torrance,......call me first since I might be able to help,..
Old 03-10-2008 | 02:17 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Mike Schatz just opened his own shop in Camarillo this week. lemme look it up..........
His new phone number is 805 987-0822 Cell is 805 402-3344.
He is getting low profile lift arms installed to handle lowered cars and then Andi is going to be getting some even-bigger-assed brakes and evo uprights installed.
Old 03-10-2008 | 07:48 PM
jcaine
Advanced

thanks guys... I totally appreciate it!
Old 03-10-2008 | 09:09 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

You might also want to call Claudio (the owner and mechanic) at Foreigns Sport Technician.

http://www.foreignsporttechnician.com/

Speak to Claudio, the owner... or Paul (his son). IIRC, you're in the Sunset area off of 405, no?

Quick Reply: mechanic in LA