Sponsored by:

Guard LSD....

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Guard LSD....

The UPS man dropped this off yesterday. First impressions are wow this is a very nice piece, don't know if I want to put in the car or on my mantle! This is 50/80 lockup which I chose over the 40/60 as my tt is mainly a track toy. That and I'm not too picky and usually give up comfort or driveability for performance advantage. I'll be updating this post once I get it in the car and will give my impression from street and track driving.

Price was $2,700 and I received it within a couple of days after my order (See how easy this can be!). I think this is a better choice than the motorsport rebuild of our stock LSD as these don't have to be rebuilt quite as often which was my impression after talking with the nice folks at Guard. That and the build quality is amazing. Time will tell and hopefully I'll be able to provide to good feedback for the forum.

Here are a couple of pics I shot last night, forgive the poor photo skills
Attached Images    
Old 02-29-2008, 10:42 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Guards LSD's are very high quality, nice.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:33 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, now if you want my workshop manuals you have to bring that toy along for my inpsection.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Ok, now if you want my workshop manuals you have to bring that toy along for my inpsection.
haha it's going over to Andy today! Its gorgeous though Eric, can't wait to get it out on the track. Guard recommends a 500 mile break in before going crazy on it so your more than welcome to go for a drive with me one of these nights when the weather gets better
Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to reshim the pinion when you put one if these in. you can't just toss it in with the diff cover off the tranny. You basiacally have to take the tranny apart. I put one in when my trans was getting rebuilt
Old 02-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AndyT
you need to reshim the pinion when you put one if these in. you can't just toss it in with the diff cover off the tranny. You basiacally have to take the tranny apart. I put one in when my trans was getting rebuilt
When did I allude that I was "tossing" it in? All diff's that i've ever delt with had to be reshimed
Old 02-29-2008, 03:39 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

The pinion depth can remain unchanged, its the carrier transverse position that needs to be reset to establish proper carrier bearing preload and ring gear backlash.

Some folks have said they had their diffs installed with the trans in situ, which is possible but I would sure hate to do it this way. The settings are precise to realize a proper 'gear tooth pattern'.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:43 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was just adding some helpful information. alot of people just replace the diffs without measuring the backlash as Chris said. I was not accusing you of doing that. Easy killer
Old 03-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AndyT
i was just adding some helpful information. alot of people just replace the diffs without measuring the backlash as Chris said. I was not accusing you of doing that. Easy killer
Sorry sport I took it the wrong way

Quick Reply: Guard LSD....