Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008 | 05:52 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

www.rs-tuning.de

also look at http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/...713,1290,1052/

and

www.fvd-usa.com for other ECU only alternatives for tuning the 993tt engine without changing the turbos.
Old 01-28-2008 | 07:30 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Have you visited this site yet?
http://993tt.com/
Old 01-28-2008 | 09:01 PM
Bass993
Advanced

I also have a '96 TT and started with the ECU upgrade like a 430 hp ECU. While it was noticeable, I wasn't happy with the modest increased feel of the "430" hp. So, I bought a set of new factory K24's for under $3,500 for the pair and a '97 FVD K24 ECU. Install was another $1,000, so for a total of $6,000 I now had a HUGE difference in HP (FVD 490hp/510TQ). Yes, it's alot of money but the difference in performance easily lets you forget when the smile comes across your face. Just giving you my experience and results from another upgrade.
Old 01-28-2008 | 09:21 PM
sealbeach1
Advanced

I second what Bass bought from FVD. I have the same package and it makes a major difference in performance. I also plan on punching it out to a 3.8 liter.

David
Old 01-28-2008 | 09:31 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Kevin's stage 2 is what you want... 97 ECU's are more valuable as they are easier to tune
Old 01-29-2008 | 08:56 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

thanks for all the help guys..........still got a few questions...

1. who is Kevin?
2. what about the idea of just calling a dealer and ordering a 430PS or 450PS ECU new from the dealer (I understand that I need additional oil cooling and K24's (if I go with the 450ps). my question is whether or not a dealer obtained, factory programmed ECU will be plug and play.
3. The diverter valve debate. It is clear that there are two schools of thought on whether or not the various aftermarket diverter valves available offer any advantage over the stock bosch valves. my question is this, even though the billet valves may not truly offer any tangible upside, is there any potential downside. If the only downside is the increased cost and there is no possibility for loss of power or damage to the engine, I'd probably spring for the additional $150 in expense and get them.
Old 01-29-2008 | 09:32 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Kevin is his user name here and is the head cheese at http://www.ultimatemotorwerks.com/ Turbo boffin deluxe. His kits are highly regarded here.
Old 01-29-2008 | 09:58 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

The RS Tuning web site is ****e, almost comically bad, knowing that they are the best in the business helps but their marketing manger needs a rocket up his ****! I guess they aren't interested in appealing to the masses? God knows their prices don't
But then you do get what you paid for!
Old 01-29-2008 | 10:22 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBL930
The RS Tuning web site is ****e, almost comically bad, knowing that they are the best in the business helps but their marketing manger needs a rocket up his ****! I guess they aren't interested in appealing to the masses? God knows their prices don't
They are a small company with maybe 8 staff including 2 brothers who run it, Mr RS who is the ex Ruf Chief Engineer and is considered in Germany to be #1 on Porsche engines and his brother who does the sales - unfortunately (for us) they don't like customers but fortunately (for them) they are virtually unique in their skills with Porsche engines so are continually very very busy.

I would not recommend anyone try and deal with them unless you have a spare $40K minimum to spend and a LOT of patience, it seems that plenty of European race teams and their owners and their friends are prepared to pay and put up.

To be fair, the engine kits which they have spent many hours developing over the years are available through Cargraphic and all on their excellent website.
Old 01-29-2008 | 10:22 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JBL930
JBL ... off your med's again? If you're really interested in the RST stuff, go to Parr's website. They're the UK distributor for CG, who in turn, markets stuff made by RST. They are interested in appealing to the masses. Their site is good; they will answer your e-mails; will actually talk to you on the phone and will provide you with a quick quote for whatever your little heart desires. And f you've seen the RST prices, these won't *shock* you! Cheers.
Old 01-29-2008 | 10:36 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TB993tt
They are a small company with maybe 8 staff including 2 brothers who run it, Mr RS who is the ex Ruf Chief Engineer and is considered in Germany to be #1 on Porsche engines and his brother who does the sales - unfortunately (for us) they don't like customers but fortunately (for them) they are virtually unique in their skills with Porsche engines so are continually very very busy.

I would not recommend anyone try and deal with them unless you have a spare $40K minimum to spend and a LOT of patience, it seems that plenty of European race teams and their owners and their friends are prepared to pay and put up.

To be fair, the engine kits which they have spent many hours developing over the years are available through Cargraphic and all on their excellent website.
cargraphic's usa website is under constructions haha

anyone care to chime in on my other questions about the ecu and diverter valve?
Old 01-29-2008 | 10:38 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badabing
cargraphic's usa website is under constructions haha

anyone care to chime in on my other questions about the ecu and diverter valve?
I think these guys are the current US distributor:
http://www.roadsportsupply.com/
Old 01-29-2008 | 10:50 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

while we're at it.... when i go for the oil cooler, must i replace the stock parking/fog lights with the "S" ducts or is it ok in the stock setup
Old 01-29-2008 | 11:05 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I didn't realise they were such a small outfit, i know they are the best in the business, it was more tongue in cheek than anything, still a ****e website none the less!
One day when i've got as much money as Toby i'll get them to build me an engine
Old 01-29-2008 | 12:16 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Originally Posted by badabing
...anyone care to chime in on my other questions about the ecu and diverter valve?
The Porsche Motronic is plug & play. That was exactly the reason why I put the Porsche 450hp kit in my car. Tried & tested!

You do not need to put Turbo S front cooling ducts on the car.

Quick Reply: 430PS Factory Upgrade - Please Educate Me