Sponsored by:

Turbo handling versus C2

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Turbo handling versus C2

My biggest concern when I finally decided to switch to 993Turbo from my 993 C2 was handling. The C2 is really crisp and fun on the factory suspension compared to all of the Turbos that I have driven which feel more Mercedes like in terms of smoothness but not as crisp and not as responsive. i.e. the Turbos seem to drive more like grand touring cars compared to the C2 My questions are:

Is the less crisp handling of the Turbo caused by the 4 wheel drive, the additional weight or by the stock suspension. I know at least one RLer who is removing all of the 4 wheel drive components to try and duplicate the C2 handling. Do you think that this will work? Is an upgraded suspension the answer ( there are lots of threads about M030, PSS 9 etc) ? Is there any answer or am I going to be chasing ghosts? Your comments will be most welcome.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

993tt - AWD = RWD = point and shoot track weapon!

Removing the front differential, front half shafts and torque tube transform the car. New alignment settings are also needed after the AWD removal.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:22 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a very well put together 2WD kit by ViperBob. See here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=2wd
Old 12-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be converting my 993tt to rear wheel drive this winter sometime. I know how you feel. I went from a 993 C2S to this 993tt and agree with your personal findings. With that said, most of the suspension packages for your new 993tt will make a big dfference. Scan threads here on this forum to figure out which you want based on everyone's feedback.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
There's a very well put together 2WD kit by ViperBob. See here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=2wd
The rest of that post does not inspire confidence in keeping a turbo on the track with 2wd.

Greg H.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:43 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
The rest of that post does not inspire confidence in keeping a turbo on the track with 2wd.

Greg H.
It all depends on the nut behind the wheel
Old 12-12-2007, 03:54 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MarkD
It all depends on the nut behind the wheel
Just wondering, you undertstand, but have you actually ever run against the "nut" JJayB ?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

All I know is the nut behind my wheel keeps going off track with the 4wd margin for error. I am assuming with 2wd we would have to revisit the part about driving 7/10ths.

Greg H.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:59 PM
graeme36s
Racer

I've only ever driven one TT. It may not have been a good example so I do not mean to offend but I did not like it. The GT2 is very different. Everything I love about old school 911's just a lot, lot more.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:07 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Just wondering, you undertstand, but have you actually ever run against the "nut" JJayB ?
No... and now I am also confused... why do you ask?

I will elaborate on my previous post... I was not aiming at anyone with that comment. It is just a funny saying. I was only pointing out that some can drive a high HP, rear engined car (certainly not me on track). It depends on the driver. I was referencing the post I quoted.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:09 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by graeme36s
I've only ever driven one TT. It may not have been a good example so I do not mean to offend but I did not like it. The GT2 is very different. Everything I love about old school 911's just a lot, lot more.
Graeme, I'm sure you do love it, but you've been driving and racing 911's of various stripes for a looong time, right? And (koff, koff) any chance of caging a ride in said GT2 at a 2008 track day?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:19 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

I will elaborate on my previous post... I was not aiming at anyone with that comment. It is just a funny saying. I was only pointing out that some can drive a high HP, rear engined car (certainly not me on track). It depends on the driver. I was referencing the post I quoted.
Understood. And, BTW, not me either!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:36 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No... and now I am also confused... why do you ask?

I think he was saying that Jay is a seriously talented driver who advocates AWD.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I think he was saying that Jay is a seriously talented driver who advocates AWD.
Thanks, I see now...

Though along with the exhaust note, that is the one other thing I like better about my NA C2 993... the lighter steering feel. And no torque steer out of a turn.
I am getting used to it. The extra power makes it bearable
Still, I am on the fence on the 2wd conversion. Tempting.
Decisions decisions...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:13 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

This topic was beat to death on 2 WD conversions. Note post #39 on 8/31/2007 good stuff I must say.

Brian, thanks for the complement, a nut is clearly a step up from a felon.

The PROBLEM with the conversion is your trying to reenginer out the solution porsche engineered in.
This is a short wheel base, high horsepower car with a tremendous amount of weight behind the rear wheels. By removing the all wheel drive you've created more rear weight bais. NOT GOOD unless you run much bigger rear tires and a huge wing.
Remember those 993 GT2s' were built for homologation purposes by porsche not as a superior handling car. Jeff Zwart ( who is really a talented driver) holds many Pikes Peak records was 16 seconds faster in a 993 tt over a two wheel drive 996 GT2 which he described as scary. If the sanctioning bodies allowed awd, you'd see more cars. I believe Audi won the Speed TV series with the awd and who could ever forget Hans Stuck destroying SCCA with an awd underpowered car against tube frame race cars then SCCA banned the car.

I believe crisp handling disaappears at about .85 Gs and then you want grip and the way to get it is awd.

Quick Reply: Turbo handling versus C2