Questions from a new 993tt owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:16 AM
930TB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from a new 993tt owner

Hi Guys,

I picked up a '96 993tt yesterday. Polar silver on flamenco red. Full leather, full carbon fiber interior. 2 owners, 22,800 miles. Only mods are fabspeed bypass pipes and a fabspeed intake. I'll post some pics soon.

My questions:

1) How do you feel about the mods? The car came with the OEM parts, wondering if I should put them back on.

2) It has the original Becker CR210 and six disk changer in the front bonnet. I have a CDR220 lying around from a 930 I sold. Which is the better unit? I believe both are ipod compatible with the correct adaptor cord and the CDR220 will also control the 6-disk.

3) Which steering wheel do you prefer? It has the OEM four spoke, black wheel at the moment, but I'm considering ordering the "CPZ" thicker steering wheel from Carnewal. Is this an OEM Porsche wheel? Are there other, better wheels I should be considering? Or should I just order the OEM black Porsche three spoke?

4) When installing the wheel, should I have my mechanic do it or is it easy enough to do myself? I've worked on a lot of cars, replaced many a steering wheel, but never messed around with airbags. I'm assuming unplugging it will trigger a fault code.

5) There are two antiquated phones installed on the passenger side of the shift console. Luckily, the antenna is stuck to an interior, rear window and not drilled into metal or glass. There's a mic next on the driver's side a-pillar. Both phones work. What's your recommendation? Should I remove them? Or upgrade the system to accomodate my blackberry 8830?

6) Which windshield wipers do you recommend?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the boring questions.

Tim

Last edited by 930TB; 12-08-2007 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added question
Old 12-08-2007, 11:03 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, welcome aboard.....

As for your inquires:
1. The "mods" you have are the most basic and most here have the same "mods" on their 993tt, no harm leaving them on your 993tt
2. The CDR220 is the "better" radio, between the two, my understanding is that if you want iPod coonection, you lose the CD changer connection, other RListers please confirm
3. That's a personal perference
4. Your confidence dependent
5. They're probably analog cell phones, cell phones now are much more advanced, dump the installed phones
6. Porsche OEM by Bosch

Last edited by IamSMC; 12-09-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:33 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We'd love to help... but WE NEED PICS!!!
Oh, and welcome.
But seriously, I'd like to see the interior. Please.

canysmc already answered the questions... I'd only add that R/Ring the steering wheel is no big deal. Just disconnect battery, maybe turn the ignition on to be sure to drain any capacitance and go at it.
I have R/Rd steering wheels on these cars probably a dozen times with no ill effects. And never waited 10-20 minutes after batt is disconnected as is suggested by some
Old 12-08-2007, 11:58 AM
aperalta
Instructor

Tim,

How do you feel about the bypass pipes? What's the noise level?? Ooops--forgive me for not beginning with a congradulations and welcome! Now, run and don't look back at rennlist or you too shall begin the sloppery slope descent. It's too late for us but you can still save yourself. Again--welcome!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd probably put the stock stuff back on, maybe pickup a decent set of mufflers, bypass pipes WILL get old after a while. Congrats!

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 12-08-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Exhaust sound is a very personal choice. Soime hate 'em, some love 'em. I've had bypass pipes on both of my 993TTs, and have not been bothered with drone or excessive in-cabin sound. My neighbors are not so crazy about my early morning starts, but that's the only negative for ME... I LOVE them.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Check your PM.. Mike
Old 12-08-2007, 08:38 PM
930chas
Instructor

Congrats on the purchase!! I have bypass pipes on mine also and love them, but then I also ran a straight pipe/dual outlet on my 930 for awhile. Sounded like a diesel at idle but wailed at WOT. It was friggin loud. I would also change the steering wheel, and definitely remove the phones...seriously the day I actually answer my phone while driving this car is the day I will sell it. Nobody is that important!! After that, you just need to post pics!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 12:43 AM
930TB
Intermediate

Thanks! I appreciate the responses. I don't have much experience with the bypass pipes yet, as I won't have the car in my possession until the beginning of next week. I will say, when the PO started the car for me, I really liked the sound. It was loud and aggresive, but that's my preferred exhaust note.

I'll post some pics when I pick it up. Thanks again!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:09 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

as far as the bypass pipes, they are a performance improvement, so to take them off would be to lose that. so a personal choice.
they haven't gotten old
Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Bill (NC)
Racer

The bypass pipes are louder on cold start up. As the car warms they mellow a little, but the real difference is the faster you cruise the quieter they get. When you accelerate hard they are loud (and cool) but just cruising you would never know the car doesn't have mufflers. A personal preference for sure, but we came from a 2000 C4 that sounded like a Mazda (hummmm) and my wife heard the 993 once and told me to buy it. ( I know, throw me in the brier patch ) Enjoy!
Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

everyone has their preference. I had put the bypass pipes in and after much frustration and comments weird looks etc etc etc. Especially since i live in a building with a parking garage. The car set off almost every alarm. I was also running 100 cell cats from FVD. Then i installed cagraphic race mufflers and after a while they were too loud for me. Now i put the stock ones back in and i love it, nothing like the cool wind blowing high pitched sound of the stock mufflers, makes the car sound smooth and cool unlike the choppy clanking of bypass pipes again jmho of course
Old 12-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

again personal choice...but my personal choice is bypass all the way...I love setting off alarms as I drive by. my neigbors don't mind but I don't idle in the driveway...they do call it the "growling beast". some have told me they love it. I love hearing the sound of the engine not muffled by water or mufflers!
my vote KEEP EM!
Old 12-09-2007, 03:02 PM
jhargis
Intermediate

Bypass pipes for sure. You are killing two birds with one stone. More power & less weight. What's not to like?
Old 12-09-2007, 06:29 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Having driven GT2's with carghrapic silencers and silencers with the baffles cut out I have to agree with sfbanchs that the standard system is my preffered choice. I'm leaving mine standard and avoid the drone.

Quick Reply: Questions from a new 993tt owner