Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tri-State Area (NY/NJ/CT) Request

Hi all,

I don't wish to impose, but I'm wondering if any DIYers in the tri-state area would like to help a new owner out. I don't own the proper tools/jacks/accesories to work on my 993TT and would like to do some simple maintenance and troubleshooting with someone a bit more experienced before I make the substantial investment in tools, etc. I guess my objective is to see whether or not I can actually see myself performing my own maintenance before I spend some significant change on AC Hydraulics and Snap On tools. I feel like I know everything that needs to be done for most maintenance items and I've browsed the boards enough to know the solutions for most problems, but I don't know the more micro items. (i.e. I know what parts need to be removed, but I don't know where the bolts are)

Anybody who's willing to let me borrow a Saturday/Sunday of their time, tools, and garage space would be compensated with eternal gratitude, meals on that day, and any other appropriate compensation we can come up with.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or offers,
Old 11-13-2007, 08:55 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Perhaps more reasonably...

anyone doing some DIY on their on car I could help out with? I'd be more than willing to be a second set of hands.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:43 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

try this for some ideas to start.
http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/~j...to.html#000008
http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/~jchan/oilchange/
Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Thanks DM. I've read through most of the DIY section at p-car.com and feel like I know what needs to be done, I'm just not that confident doing it by myself (at least for the first time). I feel like doing some mx (oil change) on my car or helping someone else with theirs will help me determine whether or not this is something I can see myself doing, before I go out and spend on tools.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:17 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

After doing this kinda stuff almost 30yrs now, the best way to learn is to just buy a basic set of craftsman tools and just start doing it, 90% of it is OJT.
Gotta figure with an 12 year old car you're gonna eventually need the tools anyway

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 11-13-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait until the worst part of winter, then fly out here and we can get as greasy as you want!

Quick Reply: Tri-State Area (NY/NJ/CT) Request