Spark plugs redux

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:58 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 608 Posts
Default Spark plugs redux

After searching thru the 993 forums, it seems that no one has switched to alternative spark plugs vs the stock 5 or 6 heat range, or the Bosch motorsports plugs. Some in the 993 n/a world have had luck with the NGK plugs (dual electrode) and I was wondering if anyone here had any trials with alternate plugs such as the NGK BKR6EK. I also looked up a variety of alternates here.

In the 944 turbo world, the NGK plug (BPR7ES) has proven to be far superior to the factory spec Bosch plugs. It would seem that after 1 decade of innovations there might be a plug that might provide superior service intervals at the minumum? As painful as the plug changing procedure sounds (especially you twin-plug boyz), and with the adoption of platinum tipped plugs for the later iterations of TT's I was hoping there may be a better mousetrap.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 AM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't use platinum plugs of any kind in the 993tt. I would stick with factory Bosch plugs.

FWIW, I have been using NGK BCPR7ET plugs for two years now. They are one step colder than factory(with NGK the higher the # the colder the plug) Best plugs I have put in so far IMHO. They last long and work excellent. Even when my car overboosted at one period I had absolutely no ignition break-up at all and they are still good. They have proven themselves very well in my car. Other than this you really can't do much better than the factory Bosch plugs. IMHO.

Jay
Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

It depends on the engine tune. I use Denso IK 22 iridium plugs since they seemed to work best on the engine dyno during the build. This is very particular to my engine however and I would not recommend anyone to use them without further research. Other engines like the twin plug 993 GT2s use different Bosch plugs that are smaller due to size restrictions and with different heat range. Many use NGK as mentioned before succesfully, and others use BERU. There is no one best recipe for all on a tuned engine.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:26 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi jean
what would work well with a ruf setup... any insights on that?
TIA
Old 11-02-2007, 05:33 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Superyellowfly

My bet is that whatever RUF has recommended is what works best on them, this usually is determined at the time of development. No one can tell you this or that works on a tuned engine without having tested it on a dyno and/or with many tools.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 608 Posts

Jean you had mentioned in previous threads plug fouling on your twin plug setup. Are you measuring or logging some kind of wire impedance showing this and are you running into issues of incomplete combustion in these cylinders? Have you experimented with smalled electrode gaps to try to improve the issues?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Eclou,

To my knowledge any of these highly tuned engines foul plugs quite frequently. In fact you don't feel anything as a result of having 12 of them, only upon inspection you would, at least in my case. I have run 8 out of 12 sometimes on the track without even noticing a difference. With track days, changing intervals are in the few hours (of running) range. On the street maybe 3k miles or so, not sure.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs redux