GT2 body flares - questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:22 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts
Default GT2 body flares - questions

I have seen the Gt2 flares on these cars and they look great. I am assuming the fronts can be grafted directly onto a wide bodied fender - correct? Also the front bumper appears to be a std carrera bumper but how do the ends flare out to match? The lower lip appears to be the same as the factory Carrera RS lip as well
Old 10-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Eclou,

As a wanna be GT2 Owner.... I can tell you what i know - or what i "think" I know......

1 - The front ends are the SAME for WB and NB. Easy bolt on replacement and the ends dont flare out...
2 - Lower lip is same as RS CLUBSPORT- correct.
3 - I am not 100% but... both front and rear will require substantial cuttiing of the guards to make them fit - Rear 100% sure - and new inner guards will need to be found (the black plastic liners) - that is the HARD part???

Yes it can be done - No I haven't - YES i want to....

Ask JEAN - He did his - I think he went GREY over the fitment issues...
BOL

Simon.

Last edited by Full Boost; 10-12-2007 at 01:11 AM. Reason: I can spell - cant type for SH*T!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same rear and front bars. Lower front is the same as RS CS- correct. The bolt on flares match up not to precisely with front and rear bars- basically force them ! Even original factory cars were like this. The point of the flares is to fit wider wheels and increase the track. To do that - the original guards have to be cut away to allow clearance . If cut very carefully with fine cutter it is possible for skilled panel guy to reverse if ever required.
It also needs to be noted-- there are many versions not faithfull to original.Also commonly called GT2 are RSR flares and body kit. Many threads here and on 6 spd and photo threads have photos and discussion.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:13 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Red9
It also needs to be noted-- there are many versions not faithfull to original.Also commonly called GT2 are RSR flares and body kit.
My understanding is that FVD comissioned OEM GT2 flare manufacturer Fokker to make the first lot of "GT2 look" flares for the narrow body cars. Porsche MS purchased a batch from FVD for use in racing so the provenance of the FVD stuff is pretty good....

FVD went on to make the wide body "GT2 look" kit which is what I have on mine. This kit is different from the original factory in a few ways:

1) Has a sill which meets the front of the rear arch for a "finished" look compared to the raw edge look of original.

2) The rear of the front arch is curved in a subtley different way making them more aestheticlly pleasing.

3) The rivet hole recesses are different, they are more "oval" and better looking.

As is mentioned above one of the challenges for a road car is to make an inner lining (AFAIK the GT2s didn't have one) - This took my fab shop some time but basically they took the original and welded (plastic) extensions to fit then grafted the rubber edges on like factory.

The job is not 100% perfect since the rubber edges sometimes pop out and are visible (I guess due to heat expansion/contraction) but they can be tucked back under.
Doing the job properly as mine was -6 years, lots of use and still perfect was expensive.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:01 AM
GIA
Track Day

TB,

What if I decide to instal Getty's GT2 Kit that they sell. Without flares on it, simply replace original QTRS and Fenders with wider Qtrs and Fenders. Will Turbo front bumper fit the GT2 Fenders?
I think you know that they sell this GT2 WB Kit one piece without flares attached.
Thanks Gia.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:18 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by GIA
TB,

What if I decide to instal Getty's GT2 Kit that they sell. Without flares on it, simply replace original QTRS and Fenders with wider Qtrs and Fenders. Will Turbo front bumper fit the GT2 Fenders?
I think you know that they sell this GT2 WB Kit one piece without flares attached.
Thanks Gia.
Sorry, can't help, I have no experience with the above Comapny's offerings.......
Old 10-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Eclou

If budget is not really an issue, go for FVD as TB993TT says. I went with Getty, quality is ok, but nothing compared to the others. I thought I was doing the right thing because I needed the flares that TB is mentioning, the ones that go all the way to the end of the sill (ala GT2R) because I add the skirts for the track. They took a lot of work, but also because I have aggressive wheel sizes and offsets in my car for a wider wheelbase, quite wider than the 993GT2 street.

You need to buy the wheels and then have them place the arches accordingly once the wheels are fitted.

I also had the issues with the linings, they take quite a bit of work, and are not even perfect.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:56 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Don't you have to cut the steel on the fenders?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Don't you have to cut the steel on the fenders?
Scott - I was thinking your new Andial would look great with the flares. How about I come over this weekend with the sawsall and help you out .

Actually I do think the GT2 flares make the 993's look very aggressive, but can you imagine cutting into the beautiful body of a turbo .
Old 10-12-2007, 06:27 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default cut fenders...

I did it

Originally Posted by Bradford
Scott - I was thinking your new Andial would look great with the flares. How about I come over this weekend with the sawsall and help you out .

Actually I do think the GT2 flares make the 993's look very aggressive, but can you imagine cutting into the beautiful body of a turbo .
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by Jean
Eclou

If budget is not really an issue, go for FVD as TB993TT says. I went with Getty, quality is ok, but nothing compared to the others. I thought I was doing the right thing because I needed the flares that TB is mentioning, the ones that go all the way to the end of the sill (ala GT2R) because I add the skirts for the track. They took a lot of work, but also because I have aggressive wheel sizes and offsets in my car for a wider wheelbase, quite wider than the 993GT2 street.

You need to buy the wheels and then have them place the arches accordingly once the wheels are fitted.

I also had the issues with the linings, they take quite a bit of work, and are not even perfect.
I would suggest doing all body fitting before deciding on wheels. That way it is possible to minimise clearance gaps and get very precise. To my eye the smaller the clearance looks better-ala race car look but providing street type clearance. With wheels-it is possible to use spacers- as well as using wider offsets-or a combination of both-to get desired appearance.
The point Jean makes about side sills is important.On original road GT2 the rear flare stops(on the front edge of the rear flare) high ( about 3"{75mm} ) above body line. The later race cars used a flare that went all the way to be level with lower edgeof the body line.On the race cars that then matched an extension below sidesill that matches up with the undertrays to create flat underside for aero issues. This lower extension sidesill is to low for street clearance-and I mean low.That later flare looks more finished than original type.
Thw narrow body flares came from the 993 Cup and 993 RSR.This was a much neater fit and solved the appearance issues.The flares are not as wide and the body started narrower so quite a bit of width difference.Often called GT2 when being sold.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Its actually quite fun to cut into these cars.

I have the stated RSR flares on my car. If you have any questions or would like to see the fender to side skirt transmission just shoot me a pm.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Red9 the problem is when the offset that you want on your wheels goes beyond what the flares would usually cover, which was my case and not viceversa. If you place the flares as they were intended to, you cannot use a track as wide as I wanted. When I look at real Gt2s, they look narrow in comparison to mine, not good for aerodynamics, but great for the lap times.

Here are some pictures of my car when it was under surgery (in advanced stages here).. And also a couple of pictures of the different looks on a couple of GT2s.

Here is a picture of the race version flares on this Manthey EVO.

And a picture of the "street" version, which has much nicer looks.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:25 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Just a side note- Gert at Carnewal can get you the FVD pieces at a competitive price. I priced them out a couple of years ago. He is great to deal with and is a stand-up guy.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:02 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Not sure if this will help but as said previously the RSR flares are smaller than the GT2's
Here's some pictures of the GT2 EVO hopefully it may help. If you need any measurements I will try my best. These cars did come with wheel arch liners.

Quick Reply: GT2 body flares - questions