Sponsored by:

Price Check Corner Balance and Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Price Check Corner Balance and Alignment

I was thinking of having it done by this shop if anyone knows them they were highly recommended http://www.ngtmotorsport.com/ after having my car aligned twice at the stealership and twice at an independent shop i styill find my tires wearing sooner than they should and a bit uneven on the driver's side. This company quoted me 450 for the whole thing sound about right? Many on here have said few shops know how to get it right on the 993tt so hopefully 5th time is a charm, i think this shop should be spot on

thanks in advance
Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Sounds sort of reasonable.

I think IIRC most shops should charge around 4 - 5 hours for this work?

So depending on your labour rates int he are whare you are - looks about spot on.

FYI - Indies here charge $100 p/h and stealers like $140.

What do you mean by premature wear?How many miles?

Simon.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Sprintrider
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I had mine done recently when installing new tires. I used a local independent race shop called C&C Automotive in Reno/Sparks area.

He ordered tires and installed them and so his price for the computer balance and toe adjustment was only $ 110.00. Once he did the alignment he needed to go deeper to made additional adjustments and charged me another 1 hour service at $ 89.00. This was due to one rear wheel being so far out of alignment on kinematic toe that he needed to perform additional adjustments.

I received a computer alignment and canber,toe and castor readings adjusted for my intended use.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

i have had the new tires for roughly 1800 miles and they are gettting close to the end of their life, just the rears though and yes the shop told me the corner balance would be roughly 6 hours because they do it "the right way" thanks for the responses
Old 10-09-2007, 11:59 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you do it yourself..............you can get scales, toe bar , tire scribe( or smart strings ), camber/castor tool for about 1500 bucks and then you know it is done right. I have re checked several alignments from so called "race shops" and they were off, same shops who get recommended here on rennlist over and over again.......

Unless you run extreme camber, toe is the quick tire killer.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

i am curious why it would take 6 hours for an alignment? I might as well research it now because eventually I will need one and God help me in my area!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

6 hopurs for the corner balance not the alignment
Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Forgive my ignorance but what is the corner balancing?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The struts are adjusted for height to equalize the weight on each front and back wheel.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes 4-5 hours for a corner balance and alignment. I had Darren at Westcoast Alignment do mine. I sat in the car for 4 hours reading a book. He exactly adjusted the rake, the corner balance and the alignment. The car was transformed in handling after that. Money well spent.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree with Scott, money well spent.

I negotiated a flat fee with the Porsche shop. It took them one week to get it per my specs, obviously they did not work on it for one week, but safe to say a good 15 hours, including kinematic toe, height, corner weight on each wheel, front to rear bias, camber, caster, etc.. I drew it all on a diagram, we measured it together when I took the car in, and then measured again when it was done. It ALL had to be redone three times, back and forth, including a test drive each time and back on the scales!

In fact I ended up having to be there under the car for 4 hours to get it finalized, only a couple of hours before a club race. The car was transformed. I now take it for fine tuning before almost every track day, it takes no more than 30 minutes to get things back in spec.

Problem is when you spend 4-5 hours and pay for them, but you still don't have it perfect, or they could have done it in 2 if they knew better. Tricky business, I recommend to negotiate a flat fee always and give them the specs you want as a condition for payment.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:27 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

i am not sure as to the specs i want but i am sure they will make a good recommendation
Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Anyone know of any shops that will do this in PA?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

so i took my car in this morning to get the corner balance and alignment done and they called me a cab to take me to the office and after waiting 1/2 hour the cab got there then took me to my office, the shop calls me and tells me there is nothing they can do for my car right when i get to the office that they do not have the special tool needed to do the job for a 993 then i was fuming i was like why didn't you tell me this over the phone i was pissed ot say the least. So i took a cab back to pick up the car 40 dollar cab ride each way. i stormed into their office took my keys didn't say a word and hauled *** out of there. and this is supposed ot be a reputable shop ngt motorsports. just thought i would vent thanks for listening, what the hell special tool is required for a 993 corner balance sounds like a bunch of bs to me
Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Seb,

What dort of shocks do you have?

Some require a special "C" wrench to adjust the platforms? IIRC you should get them (my JIC have 2 sizes) when you pursches the shocks...

What a load of crappola - no wonder you're pissed. I would be too!

Simon.

Quick Reply: Price Check Corner Balance and Alignment