Sponsored by:

suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:36 PM
thomas.rousseau
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension question

What would the effect be on road handling going from stiff suspension in the front and relatively soft in the rear (my stock setup (RoW)) to something stiffer in the rear and softening things a bit in the front ?

Why is the setup like that from factory with a rather soft suspension in the rear and stiff in the front, although most weight is in the rear?

/Thomas
Old 09-02-2007, 05:22 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The change would increase oversteer. The factory knows that hamhanded drivers are safer with understeer, so that's the stock setup.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by thomas.rousseau
What would the effect be on road handling going from stiff suspension in the front and relatively soft in the rear (my stock setup (RoW)) to something stiffer in the rear and softening things a bit in the front ?

Why is the setup like that from factory with a rather soft suspension in the rear and stiff in the front, although most weight is in the rear?

/Thomas

Softer rear would increase rear grip, and hence cause more understeer. Going softer in the front will increase oversteer.

I believe the factory used a smaller rear sway bar in the rear for US cars in order to increase the car's tendancy to understeer, for liability issues maybe? Understeer will reduce the chances spinning the rear around in the corners. Hope that helps.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:06 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Porsche with stiff front and soft rear sway bars:
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Stiff in the rear and soft in the front will get you OVERSTEER. The front will have more grip than the rear causing the rear to want to slide out.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:43 AM
thomas.rousseau
Intermediate

Thanks for the info.
I thought that stiffer suspension increased grip but you seem all in overwhelming agreement!

Maybe it is the relation in stiffness between rear and front axle that is important.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas.rousseau
Thanks for the info.
I thought that stiffer suspension increased grip but you seem all in overwhelming agreement!

Maybe it is the relation in stiffness between rear and front axle that is important.
Correct Thomas,

For braking. You will improve braking distances with stiffer front compression as you reduce the mass transfer off (away from) the rear tires and you distribute braking power over 4 tires more evenly.

Jean
Old 09-03-2007, 12:11 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, adding a thicker rear swaybar would increase oversteer compared to the stock setup, correct?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

So, adding a thicker rear swaybar would increase oversteer compared to the stock setup, correct?
correct - if you have adjustable rear sways, using the more proximal holes (closer to the bar) has the same effect.

also I think changing the sway bar settings have more effect than changing compression settings on the rear socks...

Quick Reply: suspension question