Sponsored by:

My 993TT Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:55 PM
vrus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 993TT Project

I recieved my 1996 993TT last week and while I was waiting for it, I quickly put together a laundry list of modifications that I would like to get done.

This will be a complete project car and I will be tackling interior, handling, power and exterior in stages until the car is setup just the way I want it. I thought I would document the build as it progresses through each stage and allow people to provide input.

Here is a list of what was ordered for Round 1:

- Raid-RDI Daytona Race GT 340mm Steering wheel w/airbag (black leather & suede)
- Aluminum instrument rings
- Aluminum pedals w/matching dead pedal (already here)
- RS Factory strut tower brace (already here)
- Full carbon fiber interior (instrument cluster, radio surround, center console, door inserts, door handles)
- Blue seat belts
- Custom lloyds mats (black with silver stitching and silver embossed turbo logo) (already here and installed)
- Rear seat delete (already here)
- Custom Recaro Sport Topline Driver & Passenger seats.. Covered in Porsche black leather w/black suede centers.. Full power assist with heat & cool functions. (will take a few weeks)
- Bilstein PSS9 Coilover kit (here and installed)

Today, I arranged to install the Bilstein PSS9 Coilover kit.. Beautiful kit!! I ran the H&R setup on my previous cars but decided to give these a try this time around... and you know what.. I like them ALOT better..

Here is a shot of the coilover kit along with a comparison of stock shock & spring setup to the PSS9 coilover.

Here is the polar beast on the hoist awaiting surgery...

While the skilled techs were working away tearing my car apart, I was trying to find a way to pass the time while they were doing all that hard work...

I got to spend some time with this little toy while mine was undergoing the transplant.

I've owned and driven a few older style Lamborghinis but none of the newer ones (never got around to trying them out).. The newest one I had was a 99 Diablo VT roadster..

This little guy sounds AWESOME!! It was a 6speed so I got a chance to run around the highways terrorizing other vehicles on the road.. It's not as fast as I thought it would be, but, it sounds great so who cares.. LOL..

I was supposed to go visit my friend @ Lamborghini and take the LP640 for a spin but I never made it down there... next time.

Back at the shop... Here she is with the coilovers in place...

I got stuck in a mini-rainstorm on the way home so the car got a little dirty.. worse than that.. I didnt have a chance to get the corner balancing and 4wheel alignment done.. The car is running what looks like -3deg of camber on both wheels and alot of toe out so the car was quite a handful on the way home.. Tomorrow morning I go in for a corner balancing and a complete competition alignment.

Here she is parked back at home.. all dirty after the rainstorm...

She also keeps the "beast" company (that's my 2003 E55)... They look good together don't they...

Lot's more mods on the way.. Carbon fiber will be here soon.. along with my custom seats & steering wheel and custom suede interior.

Last edited by vrus; 08-01-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

sweet ride not to shabby the e55 either enjoy them both
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

looks great! Thanks for the pix.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

What took you so long to begin mods?

Car looks great. I assume that the E55 is much quicker than the 993tt....for now.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 AM
lruss
Instructor

Great Pix, what height did they set the car at, looks as low as mine when i got it back, you may want to bring the ride height up a tadge before you make contact with the fender screws, couple of spacers on the rear wouldnt go a miss either.

enjoy.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

who did the install? looks great! Congrats on getting it. We should let our cars meet, maybe a photo session?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:20 PM
vrus
Racer

Thanks! I really think these 2 cars together give you the best of both worlds...

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
sweet ride not to shabby the e55 either enjoy them both
Thanks! Looking forward to getting the rest of the mods installed. Will have lots of pics for you guys as I go through it all...

Originally Posted by Cactus
looks great! Thanks for the pix.
Hey Rob. LOL.. I was busy studying and researching... The interior stuff is basically done.. just waiting for all the parts to get here.. A few more suspension things to take care of, and then its motor time!!

The E55 is no slouch and would leave the 993TT for dead the way it is right now.. Of course, that will all change once the motor on the 993TT is done.

Originally Posted by L8Apex
What took you so long to begin mods?

Car looks great. I assume that the E55 is much quicker than the 993tt....for now.
Thanks!! To be honest, the techs installed the kit as it was set from the factory by Bilstein.. it was perfect!! Had a slight forward rake and the perfect height so I told them to leave it alone.. Now that the car has settled a bit.. I will take fender to floor measurements and let you know.

Ignore the wheels & fender.. The car was at -3dg of camber and some serious toe-out so it looks funny in that pic.. I'll tell you it was not too fun driving home in the rain with the suspension setup like that .. This morning I had the car 4-wheel aligned.. It sits much better now...

I'll take an updated pic so you can see the difference.

Originally Posted by lruss
Great Pix, what height did they set the car at, looks as low as mine when i got it back, you may want to bring the ride height up a tadge before you make contact with the fender screws, couple of spacers on the rear wouldnt go a miss either.

enjoy.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Our cars are very similar including PSS9s, (especially after the RS strut tower brace arrives). I must say that from the pictures yours looks more like Artic Silver v. Polar Silver

Is it a factory rear seat delete?

Old 07-20-2007, 12:27 AM
vrus
Racer

Hey Matt!! My apologies.. I should have had the box out to you already.. I'll take care of that ASAP for you..

Yes.. I noticed that under certain lighting, Polar looks very close to Arctic Silver.. I think its best shown in the sunlight.. I'll take some nice shots once I clean it up.

I bought the factory rear seat delete from another rennlist member (Jim M.) and that is sitting waiting to be installed also. I was hoping to have the suede done before fixing it to the car to save 1 step..

Now that the car is aligned, the PSS9 setup is GREAT!!

Originally Posted by mkozink
Our cars are very similar including PSS9s, (especially after the RS strut tower brace arrives). I must say that from the pictures yours looks more like Artic Silver v. Polar Silver

Is it a factory rear seat delete?

Old 07-21-2007, 08:05 PM
vrus
Racer

I decided to do a little exploratory work today and took part of my car apart..

In addition to the RS front strut brace, I found a modified ECU of some sort, and a Gemballa exhaust..

The car seems to be a little laggy down low (below 3,000RPM) and then all of a sudden it wakes up and starts pulling, but, I can tell it just doesnt have as much thrust as it should for a 993TT.. I thought maybe it was just a little plugged up with carbon.. LOL..

I am now wondering if the modified ECU was left in the car and other upgrades that were probably on it were removed and now I have an ECU that is not matched up with what the car has.

Can anyone tell from these pictures what type of ECU it is and what aftermarket tune it might have?? Does anyone know which tuner puts a huge sticker with the words "HP UPGRADE" on the bottom of the ECU??

I am thinking this must be a 1997 ECU because I dont see any signs of desoldering/resoldering on the circuit board.. Can anyone tell from the part # ?

Last edited by vrus; 08-01-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:39 PM
vrus
Racer

Hey Dan!! Sorry .. I missed this post.. LOL..

Sounds good! Let's set something up and we can shoot both cars.. I saw somewhere that there is a regular gathering every Saturday morning.. Does that still happen?

I'll fill you in on the details when I see you.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
who did the install? looks great! Congrats on getting it. We should let our cars meet, maybe a photo session?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe that's a '96 2chip ecu...
Old 07-22-2007, 12:43 PM
vrus
Racer

How did they reflash my ECU if its a 96? I didnt notice any desoldering of any of the chips.

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
I believe that's a '96 2chip ecu...
Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the fact that it's a '96 ECU should narrow down the possible tuners. Perhaps the car used to have the common K24/Exhaust/ECU, which would probably cause you to be running overly rich without the turbos.

Last edited by WHB Porsche; 07-23-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:57 PM
vrus
Racer

This is exactly what I was thinking.. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to read the ECU and figure out which program I had running..

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I believe the fact that it's a '96 ECU should narrow down the possible tuners. Perhaps the car used to hace the common K24/Exhaust/ECU, which would probably cause you to be running overly rich without the turbos.

Quick Reply: My 993TT Project