Sponsored by:

Trip Computer - Intermittant display

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007 | 07:40 AM
gcpa968
Track Day

Default Trip Computer - Intermittant display

Hello all

I have a 993 tt which I acquired relatively recently and quickly took it to the Nurburgring and down to Le Mans. I was impressed by its speed and mile eating ability. I have read many of the posts on here with interest. I have a quick query - I wonder if anyone had experienced problems with the multi function computer under the rev counter. I seem to have an intermittent fault where the display flashes off and on and there are random parts of the display illuminated. Anyone encountered this problem \ found a solution? Unless there is a connection loose I suspect it will require a new unit. Is this an expensive item?

Thanks in advance
G
Old 07-10-2007 | 10:44 AM
burton
Rennlist Member

Try searching this board and the 993 board using the term "OBC". There are several threads that cover various problems with the OBC display. For some, the solution is as simple as replacing the bulb behind the display.

I have a similar problem with my OBC. When I use my headlights, the OBC back light flickers from bright to dim. But the back lighting works perfectly without flickering when the headlights are not in use.
Old 07-10-2007 | 10:45 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Common problem - repair is possible as a new unit is quite expensive. It generally involves replacing some components. Not sure where you're located; I think there's a company in Germany that will fix it for €129.

An alternative is to wire the bulb for the OBC's backlight to a switched 12V supply so the bulb is fully on whenever the ignition is on. Not quite as elegant but cheaper. Become a RennList member and you can search for previous posts.
Old 07-10-2007 | 03:23 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Here's the repair link I was thinking of - no affiliation etc etc - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ADME:B:SS:UK:1
Old 07-10-2007 | 03:28 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I sent mine to Palo Alto Speedometer twice for repair for the same symptoms you have. They were unsuccessful and I ended up paying $1100 for a new tach. Evidently they updated the design for longer life, as it is noticeably dimmer.

Quick Reply: Trip Computer - Intermittant display