Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air-to-Water Intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:07 AM
vrus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reliability issues?? Can you expand on it...

I have a rather elaborate custom twin pump setup that was created for me by Richard (the owner of ERL Aquamist). Again.. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Here are a couple of shots of my setup...

Originally Posted by JJayB
I've done water injection in another project (944 turbo) and it has reliability issues.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:37 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vrus
Reliability issues?? Can you expand on it...

I have a rather elaborate custom twin pump setup that was created for me by Richard (the owner of ERL Aquamist). Again.. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Here are a couple of shots of my setup...

My system was boost activated at .7 bars and adjustable. It was designed by an someone very accomplished with porsches and also an electrical engineer.
This was back in the late 80's in a very competive racing enviornment. I have to say we pushed the rules kinda like Nascar, except we never got caught. We had a five gallon tank in the rear spare tire well. We didn't have access to the micro processors that are available today.

The problem is regulating the amount of water we injected into the intake manifold over a 30 minute race. Boost was our only parameter and we kinda guessed on the amount of spray. We found that injecting it in front of the throttle body caused all kinds of problems. So we changed it. I'm sure with the NO2 there are all kinds of hardware we didn't have back then, but I still think its still guessing as to the amount of H2O your putting into the motor. We ran until a line ruptured causing us to spin while leading a race. That was it for me.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:40 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

vrus
I guess you were on your "sabbatical" when this was discussed:

RS Tuning commissioned Secan (the manufacturers of the original Porsche Motorsport EVO front to back intercooler) to produce a run of cores for use in the 996tt. Whilst they were at it (and after some annoying persistant clients ) they had some made to fit the stock MAF 993tt intercooler position.
The pic below shows that they look somewhat standard but are a little fatter.

The claims were that the cores are 12% more efficient per unit area than the old Secan cores and that the intake was kept within 25DegC of ambient (old Secan was 20DegC from memory)

I have run these for a while now and watched intakes using the Andial gauge and also the actual intakes using the Hammer and this unit is simply incredible.....
My engine set up starts reducing timing at 37.5DegC intake so if the intake temp can be kept below this number I will always be getting the maximum power available out of the motor. To date I have only seen it getting above this twice and that was in 28DegC ambient at the very top of the rev range and only momentarily...
This intercooler is overkill for a road car and I have every intention (should I sell the car) of doing a special deal so JJay can actually put it to good use on the track
New price around $16K US

Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

16000 usd for an intercooler?

Wow, I wish I had a customer bas for products like that. I wonder how many they have to sell to cover det R/D..
Old 07-06-2007, 07:12 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweanders
16000 usd for an intercooler?

Wow, I wish I had a customer bas for products like that. I wonder how many they have to sell to cover det R/D..
The one Sportec sell for the 993tt which is based on the TTP "V flow" is a similar price
Old 07-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by JJayB
My system was boost activated at .7 bars and adjustable. It was designed by an someone very accomplished with porsches and also an electrical engineer.
This was back in the late 80's in a very competive racing enviornment. I have to say we pushed the rules kinda like Nascar, except we never got caught. We had a five gallon tank in the rear spare tire well. We didn't have access to the micro processors that are available today.

The problem is regulating the amount of water we injected into the intake manifold over a 30 minute race. Boost was our only parameter and we kinda guessed on the amount of spray. We found that injecting it in front of the throttle body caused all kinds of problems. So we changed it. I'm sure with the NO2 there are all kinds of hardware we didn't have back then, but I still think its still guessing as to the amount of H2O your putting into the motor. We ran until a line ruptured causing us to spin while leading a race. That was it for me.
Reminds me of a "genius" in another part of the world spluttering with water dripping on the distributor on the marshalling grid( on a funny angle while waiting)-- then stopping 500 metres into warm up lap to watch his race go by! Car ran perfectly at the end of the race-- so I did not have to walk back! Was not one of my better executed ideas!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:20 PM
vrus
Racer

Yeow... $16K is what they charge for an intercooler???

The intercooler I am reviewing right now shows +1psi boost @ the TB gained over stock.. It also showed a 10C drop in temp reading over stock @ the TB.

I have a dual temp gauge made by Davtron (which is the company that makes it for Andial).. It has 2 leads on it that need to be fitted.. did you weld the bungs to the intercooler or did you somehow thread them in??

Originally Posted by TB993tt
vrus
I guess you were on your "sabbatical" when this was discussed:

RS Tuning commissioned Secan (the manufacturers of the original Porsche Motorsport EVO front to back intercooler) to produce a run of cores for use in the 996tt. Whilst they were at it (and after some annoying persistant clients ) they had some made to fit the stock MAF 993tt intercooler position.
The pic below shows that they look somewhat standard but are a little fatter.

The claims were that the cores are 12% more efficient per unit area than the old Secan cores and that the intake was kept within 25DegC of ambient (old Secan was 20DegC from memory)

I have run these for a while now and watched intakes using the Andial gauge and also the actual intakes using the Hammer and this unit is simply incredible.....
My engine set up starts reducing timing at 37.5DegC intake so if the intake temp can be kept below this number I will always be getting the maximum power available out of the motor. To date I have only seen it getting above this twice and that was in 28DegC ambient at the very top of the rev range and only momentarily...
This intercooler is overkill for a road car and I have every intention (should I sell the car) of doing a special deal so JJay can actually put it to good use on the track
New price around $16K US

Old 07-06-2007, 03:56 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

vrus
Threaded them in.
Cost a lot but in my long search, the only cores that actually work better than stock...................
Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 PM
vrus
Racer

Does yours look like this? Sorry for the poor quality.. my carry camera was acting up...

Mine don't seem to have threads...

vrus
Threaded them in.
Cost a lot but in my long search, the only cores that actually work better than stock...................
Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.. Good point. I did think of that also. I will place a few thermocouplers in the engine bay and take some temp readings while driving.

If heat soak becomes a problem, a thermal break can be placed between the intercooler & the engine to keep radiant heat away from it.

I also have access to a patented process which coats heat exchangers and provides a 25 - 30% increase in heat dissipation efficiency. Its not cheap to do, but it works. It is used in the aerospace industry and now being used in the automotive sector. Alot of endurance race teams coat their rads & heat exchangers with this stuff.

I've used this on my E55 and it does help. IAT measurements did go down after my heat exchanger was coated.
Could you be more specific about the coatings for IC's, heat exchangers etc . Swain offers coatings for these applications as well, is it different ?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:52 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does yours look like this? Sorry for the poor quality.. my carry camera was acting up...

Mine don't seem to have threads...
My gauge is like that although I can't remember whether it has threads - I would think it is the same as yours unless Andial did different versions ? Mine may be glued in ?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Jussi
Pro

..The intercooler I am reviewing right now shows +1psi boost @ the TB gained over stock.. It also showed a 10C drop in temp reading over stock @ the TB..
I have been searching also reasonable priced good IC to replace my stock one. Could you tell more about your massive IC like where to get, how much etc. Write PM or email if that is too much offtopic. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
vrus
Racer

I dont know what else I can say about it... The final coating is a matte black colour and costs roughly $400 - $500 for something the size of an intercooler.

I am not familiar with the heat dispersement coatings that Swain offers but I do know that this particular coating does work.. I've done this to various parts on Mercedes Benz and it works as advertised.

I'll show some pics of the procedure once my intercooler arrives.

Originally Posted by pole position
Could you be more specific about the coatings for IC's, heat exchangers etc . Swain offers coatings for these applications as well, is it different ?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 PM
vrus
Racer

Thanks.. I was trying to figure out the best way to mount the probes that is also easily reversible..

My gauge is like that although I can't remember whether it has threads - I would think it is the same as yours unless Andial did different versions ? Mine may be glued in ?
I will pass along more information once I've had a chance to test it myself.. No sense in 2 people spending money on something until we know it works.

I will have it in my possession soon and will immediately do some datalogging.

Oh.. If it works, they can be bought for under $4,000USD.

Originally Posted by js-911
I have been searching also reasonable priced good IC to replace my stock one. Could you tell more about your massive IC like where to get, how much etc. Write PM or email if that is too much offtopic. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Jussi
Pro

I will have it in my possession soon and will immediately do some datalogging.

Oh.. If it works, they can be bought for under $4,000USD.
Vrus, how is your Intercooler project going?

I might be interested in buying one if it is much better than stock one..

Quick Reply: Air-to-Water Intercoolers?