Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different tyres front/rear - ok or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007 | 04:40 AM
thomas.rousseau
Intermediate

Default Different tyres front/rear - ok or not

I have Conti SportContact 2 on my 993tt but the ones in the front are old and should now be changed. The rear ones are new.
I have experienced that the braking grip of the front Contis has not been as good as the Bridgestone I had before.
I'm now thinking if I should go for maybe Michelin PS2 in the front but that would give me Contis on the rear and Michelin in the front.
What do you guys have to say about that?

Is it a no no or?

I don't use the car on track.

/Thomas
Old 06-23-2007 | 09:40 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

this is not recommended by porsche , was considering leaving my michelin in the front and replacing the back with conti or pirelli i opted to repalce it completely with pirelli i do have a good set of front micheline ps2 235 35 19 if you are interested 75% tread left
Old 06-23-2007 | 10:40 AM
thomas.rousseau
Intermediate

It's true it's not recommended, but you wonder how much difference it makes in real life.

I'm using the original hollow spoke rims so 19 inch is somewhat big for me....
Old 06-23-2007 | 12:46 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

It is considered Rennlist heresey to not rail against mixing tires. On my previous 993TT I found myself with Yoko Advan Sports on the Rear (295x30x18)and Bridgestone SO3 on the front (225x40x18). The car understeered at the limit, but I wasn't surprised, considering that the Yokos are a very grippy tires. To be "safe" you probably don't want the grippoer tires on the front.

If you have adjustable sway bars (not standard equipment), you can probably make adjustments to get the car more neutral.

Remember that the front and rear suspensions are totally different, have different jobs to do, have different wheel and tire sizes, and using mixed tires adds to the variables. Its not a great idea, but under most circumstances is not much of an issue.

I have never heard of a "braking issue" with the Conti's... they are quite highly regarded. I wonder if there isn't another issue going on with the brake bias or the ABS not functioning correctly? Can you "borrow" some fronts from another Rennlister to give a real world test?

I would not "recommend" mixing... but only as a last resort.
Old 06-25-2007 | 10:33 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

and if you do choose to mix, find a large parking lot or other open safe space and see what the car does at the limits
Old 06-25-2007 | 11:03 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

On my last 993tt, I had a hard time getting tires locally. Since the back tires wore out faster than the front, and I was not tracking the car, I decided to get what was available and replace the front at a later date.

For normal driving, my car did not show any difference. I think at the limits, you could find that not matching tires could be an issue, as for my racecar, I always made sure the tire were the same.
Old 06-25-2007 | 04:10 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I sure miss Viken.
Old 06-25-2007 | 04:25 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Mixing Tires

Quick Reply: Different tyres front/rear - ok or not