Sponsored by:

First Autocross in the TT - What a Blast

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Sprintrider
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Default First Autocross in the TT - What a Blast

I went down to Stead Airport near Reno to "watch" the local Autocross today with a friend. I was soon talked into entering in the novice class for the afternoon runs by one of the organizers.

I helped out on the course for the first hour or two and then it was my turn.

It was a very tight course mostly second gear except one hairpin in 1st. It was amazing to step on it and see what the car can do. Handling was good but I found myself braking in the turns instead of before

My biggest problem was managing all the power which got me sideways and 3/4 spins on numerous occasions. I had on Pirelli P-Zeros but I felt pretty loose under acceleration and in corners because I was applying too much power. After a few runs I made some power corrections and finished up with a respectable last run.

My runs were 66.5 seconds, 65.2, 64.5,65.5 (2 partial spins) and a 62.2 on the last run with no cones hit at all. This was about average for most people that had done it before. I had a big power afdvantage but they had better control and experience. Once I get that figured out they will have some competition on their hands. The best times were high 50's but these cars were race only cars with slicks.

It was a blast. Only $35.00 plus probably about $150 in tire wear

The race was held on the taxiway at the airport where the annual Reno Air Races are held. I will definitely be trying this again. So much fun it ought to be illegal
Attached Images     
Old 04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want to have fun that should be illegal/immoral, come to the track at Fernley 28-29 April. You can get info at hookedondriving.com
Old 04-16-2007, 08:21 PM
ignomini
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you gonna pull an "Enzo" if they don't have some nice concrete K-rail next to the track? Sheeeeeesh! Too much power in too little space - looks like a lot of fun. Another good reason to leave California behind.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Sprintrider
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Talking about the Enzo K-Rail crash gives me shivers. Another reason not to let anyone else drive your car.

Thanks to fellow rennlister AiRick he dropped off some great photo's from the autocross.

I Owe you one.
Attached Images    
Old 04-17-2007, 02:59 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

SR,

Congrats and welcome to the slope.... Wait tillyou get that Beastyont he track.... WOOHOO!!

Great shots - all you need is some suspension mods and an oil cooler and a seat and a harness and and and

Best,

SImon.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 AM
AiRick
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Mark ... It was a lot of fun out there! ... My best time was 64.+ so you beat me by a few seconds! I think the track would be a blast! Some photos of the other cars :
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: First Autocross in the TT - What a Blast