Sponsored by:

swapped the cargraphic ofr factory intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 04:19 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts
Default swapped the cargraphic ofr factory intercooler

As per the advice of my fellow rennlisters i swapped my cargraphic intercooler for the stock unit. My tech happneed to have one that was in perfect shape with low miles and gave it to me fo 1k not a bad deal. Anyways after the 30 minute drive home in 90 degree weather, i opened the deck and IC was blazing hot, i couldn't even keep my hand on it. the cargraphic unit never got that hot. the oil temp gauge ran the same and the car ran great, no noticeable difference between the two. Could the stock unit b e so hot due to the smaller size?. did i just waste my money? Any comments or help would be appreciated

Best

Sebastian
Old 03-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Janina993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you have some problem with air channeling.

Did you check IC temperature from middle of IC, engine idling and engine bonnet not open too long time before measure?
IC really shouldn't be that hot after normal driving.
Do you have metal collar and rubber seal around IC? If not, there is your problem.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
As per the advice of my fellow rennlisters i swapped my cargraphic intercooler for the stock unit. My tech happneed to have one that was in perfect shape with low miles and gave it to me fo 1k not a bad deal. Anyways after the 30 minute drive home in 90 degree weather, i opened the deck and IC was blazing hot, i couldn't even keep my hand on it. the cargraphic unit never got that hot. the oil temp gauge ran the same and the car ran great, no noticeable difference between the two. Could the stock unit b e so hot due to the smaller size?. did i just waste my money? Any comments or help would be appreciated

Best

Sebastian
Sebastian
With all due respect, you are not being very scientific about it. If you are comparing it to the CG I/C, was the drive home stop/start and the same as when you "touched" the CG I/C, was the ambient temp similar. Stopping in traffic/leaving the car switched off for 10 minutes will make a huge difference to how hot the cores feel - you really do have to compare exact apples with apples here....
From my slightly more scientific testing, the thinner factory unit will give you cooler intake temps than the C/G unit
Old 03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

TB i feel great about my decision, and yes i did sit in a lot of traffic on the way home in 90 degree weather as well as having the ac on full blast which could account for the heat my only problem is what to do wit hthe cargraphic unit. ebay perhaps??
Old 03-04-2007, 09:13 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a nonscientific scientific answer: an intercooler is a heat EXCHANGER. It cools the intake air, but it must heat up some other air (the ambient air around it and the air flowing through the engine bay). Thus, an intercooler that is taking more heat away from your intake air would absorb some heat in the process.
Whether this general principle accounts for your temps is anybody's guess, but the thing that matters is the actual temp. of the air as it enters the throttle body, not the temp of the I/C itself.

Quick Reply: swapped the cargraphic ofr factory intercooler