Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge set replacement.. COST?? (UPS lost mine)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:36 AM
FELKER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge set replacement.. COST?? (UPS lost mine)

Had the gauges removed and sent to North Hollywood Speedo for cleaning, restoration.. and Aluminum faces..

Went UPS and have not been "scanned" for 5 days now.. last "scanned" in Louisville KY 2/19..

Where to get replacments? cost?

This was part of the "restoration" of my 993tt... Removal and shipping was done by the shop and I have no question that they will make it right, just wondering the cost .. Kevin at NHS said to insure for more than $2000, which he thought the cost of the tach alone.

UPS is searching.. but after 5 days.. does not look good..
Old 02-24-2007, 09:11 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I have seen these as low as $850 (OEM) on Ebay, I am sure they would be triple that at the dealership. Once you replace the gauges with a new speedo, don't you have to make a note on your title it has been done? I guess you can get the shop to match the miles on your old speedo?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:38 AM
ncp
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Given that you can utilize insurance $$ to replace, I would definately buy new through the dealership, even if you end up contributing a little "out of pocket." Also, given the first set was lost by a third party, I think you'll have a much better story for the next buyer. Last I checked through the dealership the aluminum set was running over $3K.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:54 AM
ncp
Rennlist Member

By the way, you may want to confirm this, but I don't think the North Holywood face replacements look the same as the stock. I don't believe there are cutouts for the warning lights, but instead are covered by a thin layer of film such that they simply glow in the background when the lights come on.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ncp
...I don't think the North Holywood face replacements look the same as the stock...I don't believe there are cutouts for the warning lights, but instead are covered by a thin layer of film such that they simply glow in the background when the lights come on.
From the factory the gauge faces have the film, it is the not-so-cheap aftermarket replacements that don't. And after about ten years of use the film will begin to flake off and look like crap.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:57 AM
ncp
Rennlist Member

Those are factory gauges?? The flaking on whatever those are do look like crap. Nonetheless, many of the aftermarket gauges look nothing like the factory gauges. If they obviously look "aftermarket" and especially if it makes it more difficult to see the lights when not lit, as many of those do, I wouldn't touch em. Just my opinion.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:20 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This flaking is on the factory gauges. I ad many of my friends with 965 all have this problem. So much for Porsche quality!!

Quick Reply: Gauge set replacement.. COST?? (UPS lost mine)