Sponsored by:

A Christmas Tale ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 10:03 AM
MOD500
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Christmas Tale ...

A strange one, thought I would tell the story for reference in the future.

Over the last 6 months I have had issues with my car's rev behaviour at idle and when running. It would start revving itself at idle and / or then stop altogether randomly (like on a busy main road!) when out driving.

By chance this summer when Tech 9 here in the UK were cleaning the car prior to repatriation after changing the alarm/immob system thinking this was the cause. Anyway, they knocked the top of the ecu with the end of the vac and the car stopped.

The ecu was sent to RS Tuning in Germany who diagnosed a dry joint possibly caused by a voltage spike caused / allowed by the old malfunctioning alarm system. All was well till two weeks ago, when it just stopped 2 mins after starting it in the garage.

RS found a hair line fracture in a circuit in the ecu early this week. They said it might be caused by vibration, which is logical given the speed days I do. Although the ecu is not the original one, it is a new one purchased a year ago by RS.

This is now fixed, and the car landed back home in the Race Shuttle yesterday, and thankfully now nestles once again in my garage.

Has anyone else had problems like this?

Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year
Old 12-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Mine did something similar to that (993TT) and I thought it was ECU related. My car would randomly
rev up and down (while idling). Crazy, random stalling, etc.

Local guys couldnt figure it out...

I called Todd Knighton and he said it most likely was a cylinder head temperature sensor??

It was!!

Merry Christmas to the mad scientist and all !
Old 12-17-2006, 09:24 AM
MOD500
Racer

Just been for a blast

I had forgotten how fast it goes

It ran great
Old 12-17-2006, 09:27 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MOD500
Just been for a blast

I had forgotten how fast it goes

It ran great
Nice crisp December air........a healthy 550hp for you out there

Go easy on the Guiness
Old 12-17-2006, 11:44 AM
EndlessEarth
Instructor

Hey wait, how can this be a Christmas story. Where are the talking snowman and the elf that wants to be a dentist?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:50 AM
MOD500
Racer

Interesting watching the boost, ambient temp was 7 deg going by the OBC, the boost spiked to 1.2 bar briefly through peak torque, then settled just under 1 bar. Really shows the Motronic control, since in the summer it settled at 1.1 to 1.2 bar.

One interesting moment was when flooring it in 5th on a (private) motorway the rear wheels span at 100

Having not driven it in so long, I had forgotten something of the madness as it rips through peak torque, squats and heads for the horizon. The initial 'shhhccccccchhhh' at around 2, 800 revs, building to a spin dryer whistle around 4, 000, then the 'barrnnnnngggghhhh' as it hits full boost and

Also, I really noticed the weight of the steering, gear change, and pedals compared to my VW daily driver given the long spell out of the saddle. The drive yesterday really did feel like a work out, and I felt very involved in the process. The sensation of the heavy back end bobbing up and down over bumps still makes me smile every drive

Think that is enough gushing for today

Endless Earth, I am having some difficulty in thinking how I could incorporate a talking snowman and teeth pulling elfs into my driving story from yesterday

Quick Reply: A Christmas Tale ...