Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how safe are the 993 and 993TT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:22 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started to post a sarcastic response, but started to think how much the public has swallowed the side air bag kool aid, as safety. One of the things that make porsche an exceptional automobiles is strength of the chassis. It's braking system is second to none and the steering response allows one the opportunity to avoid the other guy. Side air bags will help only on small to moderate impacts. For many, cars are the enemy and we need to protect the public. Lets put air bags in every pos and it will be safe. Hmmm, no air bags in trucks. Not necessary they have the weight advantage.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:57 AM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had accidents (only one as driver, I just crossed a field with the 964) with French, Russian, German and Japanese cars.
French cars are pretty OK. German are the best -the legend must come from somewhere- and I could see that Japanese car look to be made to absorb impact energy at low speed : they are probably safer in town for both drivers and pedestrians.
For instance we had an accident with a Miata, my wife was driving at low speed (55 mph) and it would have been better if there hasn't been a passenger airbag ! It cut my face and dismantled my shoulder.
My father had an accident with a Mazda 323F : car was dead and the windshield cut my father's face, a nightmare for a minor accident, etc..
I saw many accidented 911, in only one case driver has been killed (frontal crash at more than 130 mph) even if these didn't have airbag.

I would like to have statistics about airbags. How often do they save life ? Frontal ? Lateral ? etc...
Old 12-16-2006, 01:11 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

None of the 993s would pass the stringent crash tests of nowadays. Wonder why those new 996-997s just can't shave more weight and be a production car?

JJayB, thanks for finally making your avatar bigger, gorgeous car
Edit: Just saw the other thread on this subject
Old 12-16-2006, 09:03 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

I pass by the cross on the side of the road every day a 1/4 mile from my house. I heard the sirens and more sirens and more. I ventured out and saw the carnage. On the side of the road was a new Nissan Maxima, air bags deployed. I could see the driver moving as the paramedics tended to him.
I recognized him as a local city councilman. The other vehicle, a full size Chevy Pickup, its entire front end pushed in. The woman driving the P/u was later found to be under the influence of drugs. No air bags, just 5500 lbs of steel she was driving. She walked away, but will be prosecuted. The impact was 45-50 mph but how knows what the closing speed was. The driver of the newest highest rated side air bag car died on the way to the hospital. At some point all the saftey features will not overcome the laws of physics.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:18 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, the 993 was the last breed of cars that could truly be "raced on Sundays, and driven to work on Monday" pretty much as is. Everything on the 993s and earlier 911 variants was designed and built with performance driven and safety in mind, with other convenience factors being secondary (A/C, radio location, etc). There are some amazing crash pics like the ones above where the occupants were able to walk away.

That said, if you (and your wife) are trully concerned about safety then it's probably best not to buy a 993 and instead purchase a 997 or another more modern car. While many of the posters on this forum may have a view that the 993 was the last "true" 911, IMHO the reality is that the 997 is a more modern, safer, and easier to drive car.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:01 PM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I 100% agree with David.
A 997 isn't a kind of "boring modern car" like a Prius can be. So except because of the price, I wouldn't have a hesitation for an everyday car : 997 !
-And it's so beautiful-
Old 12-17-2006, 04:26 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David in LA
IMHO, the 993 was the last breed of cars that could truly be "raced on Sundays, and driven to work on Monday" pretty much as is. Everything on the 993s and earlier 911 variants was designed and built with performance driven and safety in mind, with other convenience factors being secondary (A/C, radio location, etc). There are some amazing crash pics like the ones above where the occupants were able to walk away.

That said, if you (and your wife) are trully concerned about safety then it's probably best not to buy a 993 and instead purchase a 997 or another more modern car. While many of the posters on this forum may have a view that the 993 was the last "true" 911, IMHO the reality is that the 997 is a more modern, safer, and easier to drive car.
No.

The lack of creature comforts in aircooled 911's has nothing to do with "race on Sunday, drive on monday". Porsche is loctated in Baden Wurtenberg where the Schwabians live, tight and cheap to the extreme . Less standard options means more profit but EVERY option was (and is) always available at extra cost. Daimler acted exactly the same, vanity mirrors used to be optional LOL.
Both manufactureres had to change their approach if they wanted to stay competitive and the opponents from the far east really acclerated it.

Most of the awkward control layout comes from the fact that the 911 was designed in the 60's and endlessly warmed over due to Porsches failure to capitalize with their various watercooled offerings in the 70's and 80's.

German manufacturers in general have always build solid crash structures but the pioneer and leader was not Porsche , it was Daimler, starting in the 20/30's. Porsche's stiff early to late aircooled platforms where mainly incorporated to avoid chassis flex which is detrimental to handling, and handling , not raw hp, was always a Porsche trademark. Were they concerned with safety ? Sure, but not the extent of Daimler.

Now, when you put all the emotions , noise , looks etc aside, by todays technical or performance standards the 993 , especially the pre varioram, are outdated and slow. Some Subaru/Mitsu spiced up econo boxes will dust it going straight or around corners. Topspeed ? No Autobahn in the US, so it is not revelant. This comparison goes for stock cars, modified, all bets are off and I got once beat, a few years back, pretty hard in my highly modified 930 by a primer colored, rough looking DSM........

The good news are that Porsche makes every SINGLE new car far better than the outgoing model. One can argue about looks but one thing is for certain, technology goes forward, not backward.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:12 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,283 Likes on 613 Posts

perhaps if safety is a primary concern- some Driver's Ed events are in order to properly engage the excellent brakes and get a feel for the driving dynamic of both a 993 and a 997 or whatever...it seems to me that most avoidable accidents are driver error- and the other ones are like JJayB said- no matter what kind of psm, abs, tcs, lsd, or side impact airbag technology- if you get T-boned by a methed up soccer mom driving a suburbalade-( 3200 lbs vs 6000 lbs)- it could be curtains.
The agility of a 911 regardless of vintage is going to be the ultimate safety tool, it's a stiff and small car that can be properly braked, gassed, or steered out of most avoidable situations by a good driver.

I've lost a few friends and family in car wrecks and I think 90% of them were alcohol related, or where someone in the other car made a grossly negligent manuever in their automobile.

Safety is a relative illusion no matter what year your 911 is.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:24 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

well put cj
Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DM993tt
This car in this picture is about 30 years behind with no side airbags - I broke a telephone pole with my door and I walked away with a little bump on my head.
That is the most deadly form of side impact; hitting a tree or pole. Man, you are lucky you walked away!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Here is the speed yellow 993TT and a 996 Cab.

but if your wife really wants safety, get her a Rolls Royce and fill it with soccer *****...
Attached Images   
Old 12-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Attention all 993TT owners, your cars are unsafe and should immediately be traded to the better, safer 996. I am ready to trade straight-up my 996 N/A for your 993TT so you can sleep at night. HAHAHAHA
Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's what I love about Rennlist, the level of concern for the well being of our fellow members!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Gordon Attar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More bags means safer more boring car and that includes Porsches, only exceptions are GT2's and the the more recent 997 GT3

ps off to do some ducking and weaving
Old 12-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DM,

I have to ask...what are the specs of your old 930? I own a '88 930 and one of the things I love so much about the car is the solid feeling. I feel as safe in that car as I do in my father's new full size Lexus.

That pic is amazing...glad you walked away.

Quick Reply: how safe are the 993 and 993TT?