Sponsored by:

Sticky shifter??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003 | 06:49 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Post Sticky shifter??

Hi Guys,

I have a newbie question for you. I just picked up a 96TT and it is great- midnight blue over biege, 10,800 miles. The gearbox shifts up and down just fine when driving around, however, the shifter at can be somewhat "sticky" while coasting to a stop and shifting out of gear and into neutral. Does this sound normal or symptomatic of some potential problem??

Thanks for your input,

Ramana (formerly joeinfrance)
Old 01-10-2003 | 08:01 PM
acastell
Racer

Well, I do not have the answer for you but I would like to welcome you. If you do not mind, can you share some more details on your car (color, price, # owners etc...)

My guess is that this is 'kind of' normal if the Cluth fluid is not warmed up. I hear that the fluid, when cold, is very, very viscous. In Boston, temps are low.

There are a number of posts that explain other clutch symptoms to look for...a quick search should help you.

Again, welcome and post pics when you have a chance.

Anthony
Old 01-12-2003 | 02:30 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by e6tme:
<strong>Hi Guys,
I have a newbie question for you. I just picked up a 96TT and it is great- midnight blue over biege, 10,800 miles. The gearbox shifts up and down just fine when driving around, however, the shifter at can be somewhat "sticky" while coasting to a stop and shifting out of gear and into neutral. Does this sound normal or symptomatic of some potential problem??
Thanks for your input,
Ramana (formerly joeinfrance)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Temperature today in the Southern NJ area is reported to be 34 F (weather website describes it as "feels like 22 F" - wind chill factor?). Humidity is 40%. No "stickiness" either immediately after starting or later on. Garage is NOT climate controlled.

Considering all of the above, "stickiness" does not seem absolutely "normal". Sorry, cannot comment on whether it is symptomatic of any problem but, as acastell suggested, look around in this website and/or have a chat with your mechanic.

Congrats on the acquistion and enjoy the car in good health.
Old 01-13-2003 | 03:34 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Do a search on shifter problems on the 993 board. I occasionally get a similar problem and believe it may be a slight misalignment of the shifter mechanism. I'm taking the car in for the wiring harness recall in two weeks and I'll have it looked at then. I'll report back any results.
Old 01-15-2003 | 07:19 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses.

Even though it is cold up here, I have sort of discounted it as the source of my problem. The shifting is quite notchy when the gearbox oil is cold but smooths out nicely as it warms. The misalignment that Scott mentions seems to be interesting. However I did a search of the 993 archives and failed to come up with anything useful! Scott, looking forward to what you find when you take your car in...
Old 01-16-2003 | 11:49 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Of course the car knows that it is going in to visit "Mike the Mechanic" and has been behaving properly for weeks. I can't seem to make it happen any more!
By the way my car has the RS shifter and LWF if that has any bearing on anything.
Old 02-03-2003 | 11:54 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

OK Just a quick follow-up as promised. Got the car back from the wiring harness fix. My tech found nothing wrong with my transmission mounts or shifter linkage. Of course the shifter is working fine now.
After a week in the shop, I drove the absolute snot out of it on the way to work and all is right with my world. Ahhhhhhhh.......

Quick Reply: Sticky shifter??