Sponsored by:

993TT PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Reno - Turbo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 993TT PPI?

I just inquired to have a PPI performed on a potential 96 993TT I am looking at in Southern Cal. When asking the price I was quoted $100. I then asked what services would be performed, they mentioned this was more of a visual of the car. I asked about Turbo Inspection and Compression Tests, but they then quoted $400 or so for these services. Is this right? Or am I asking for the wrong thing? Seems like most have mentioned here that these costs for a full blown PPI should be around $200 or so.

Also...Anyone interested in Selling a 96-97 993TT (Black Outside - Tan Interior) loaded with options let me know. Im ready to purchase!
Old 09-14-2002, 12:30 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Andial did a PPI on my 1996TT about 18 months past! The cost was $175.00. They checked from stem to stern,removed wheel well interior panels,test drove,checked for bent low gears etc! As a result they did detect a turbo oil leak I didn't know I had! Andial me how to get it fixed under warranty. Porsche dealer initially said 'no way' but after I recited the Andial script the dealer said' of course!' Replaced right side turbo no charge. Andial may be one of the better places in southern Ca! Deal fell through,Arena Red for sale again!

R
Old 09-14-2002, 01:00 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the car is on the north side of LA, then I would have Mike Schatz at Rusnak Thousand Oaks do the PPI. According to a discussion I had with Mike, there is no need to do a compression and leakdown, as the problems that would show up in these tests, will also tirgger certain codes. If the computer is clear, and no other indication of a problem, he does not do compression and leakdown.

When I bought my car, Andial did my PPI -very complete and under $200. Mike did the PPI for the buyer, when I sold mine.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:39 PM
TwinsPop
Intermediate

I just had a PPI done on a 97 TT, and about a month ago for a C4S I was looking at. Jeff @ Black Forest in San Diego did both and charged ~ $150 each time. To my untrained eye, he did a thorough job and seems like a good guy. Most other places I've checked for potential PPIs were charging in the $200 range. $400 sounds excessive.

Sorry, no recommendations for the LA area, although I need to find a turbo-able mechanic in Ventura area quickly since I've committed to buying the 97 tt ref'd above.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:29 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ruf-Racer:
... As a result they did detect a turbo oil leak I didn't know I had! Andial me how to get it fixed under warranty. Porsche dealer initially said 'no way' but after I recited the Andial script the dealer said' of course!' Replaced right side turbo no charge ...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">So what's that "script"?
Old 05-21-2003, 02:43 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Carrera GT:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ruf-Racer:
... As a result they did detect a turbo oil leak I didn't know I had! Andial me how to get it fixed under warranty. Porsche dealer initially said 'no way' but after I recited the Andial script the dealer said' of course!' Replaced right side turbo no charge ...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">So what's that "script"?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Probably the 7 year CA emissions warranty. Anything related to emissions is covered by the dealer for 7 years, that includes the turbos. Check the archives for exactly what is covered.

But 7 years is approaching fast, so get on it! It's 7 years from when the car was sold, I believe.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:41 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting tip. Now that you mention it, it rings a bell. I was curious to hear of anything to leverage a maker or dealer.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Jeff: It may be 7 years from the date of manufacture. Regardless, if owners use the date of manufacture, they are sure to be covered rather than risking any date past that of manufacture.

Just a thought...

Dan
'89 930 3.4
'97 993tt (that has needed to use the 7 yr CA emissions warranty, thanks to Jeff)
Old 05-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Pete K
Pro

From the 993 FAQ here is a link to the LA area shops.

HTH's,
Pete

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005651" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005651</a>
Old 05-21-2003, 04:07 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

$400 is not excessive if it includes a compression and leakdown test. I highly doubt Andial does this for under $200 as it is very time consuming on the 993TTs. If the Andial $200 PPI does include compression and leak down then it is the best bargain you will likely ever get on 993TT services.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ZCAT3:
<strong>$400 is not excessive if it includes a compression and leakdown test. I highly doubt Andial does this for under $200 as it is very time consuming on the 993TTs. If the Andial $200 PPI does include compression and leak down then it is the best bargain you will likely ever get on 993TT services.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Getting access to the spark plugs is a time consuming task for sure!
Old 05-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Jeff 993TT:
<strong>Probably the 7 year CA emissions warranty. Anything related to emissions is covered by the dealer for 7 years, that includes the turbos. Check the archives for exactly what is covered.

But 7 years is approaching fast, so get on it! It's 7 years from when the car was sold, I believe.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Found the post which describes what exahust components are covered:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004053" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004053</a>

Quick Reply: 993TT PPI?