Sponsored by:

In the market for a twin...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 04:10 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post In the market for a twin...

Did they all come with xenons? What is the big differences between '96 & '97? Any recommendation for my search?

TIA...
Old 09-02-2002, 06:58 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, they all came with HID lights ( high intensity discharge ).

Check out <a href="http://www.993tt.com" target="_blank">www.993tt.com</a> for some basic buying info and check out the archives here..

I prefer to get a 97 instead of a 96 if given a choice, but the differences are not THAT major.

97 had a stronger 1st gear ( better if you do a lot of drag race type starts ) and an ECU that is chippable. ( for 96 cars, you have to replace it with a 97 ecu ).

Jeff
Old 09-02-2002, 07:21 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

Thanks Jeff, funny I have the HIDs lights on my C4 but they shine like a standard hallogens, where the xenon's on the Audi's have that blue light...
Old 09-02-2002, 09:07 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

mpm '95 C4,

For the US spec. 993TT, there was nothing to choose as regards lighting. All cars came with the upgraded lighting. The situation may or may not be the same elsewhere.

96 and 97 model year differences are pretty minor and at this point in the game your best bet is to concentrate on how well they have been maintained since that will most certainly be a much more significant factor. Nevertheless the changes are:-
-- Upgraded hoses for turbo
-- First gear Input shaft change though it does not really seem to help much since I have seen/heard of both model years suffer when drag raced. Basically do not drag race these cars because that is the only way you can really hurt the gears.
-- Modifiable ECU (if you need to modify a 96 model year, you will have to buy a new ECU whereas you can modify a 97 ECU - unless you want to keep the stock ECU in which case it probably does not matter).

The turbo S had a few real differences (mostly cosmetic since the rest of it can be upgraded but the cosmetic changes were significant and expensive).

Whichever model year you end up buying, I suggest you check to see if your car has been fitted with the updated alternator belt pulley. I think it was reported here that even one of the last 993tt cars did not have it.

The price difference between the model years was more than $5K and since upgrading to 97 components seemed to cost less, it was a cost efficient decision to go for a 96 atleast until a few months back. However as these cars get older the prices seem to increasingly reflect mileage and upkeep rather than actual model year differences which are not as significant.

Here are two links that discuss some of these and other issues a bit more:-
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000241" target="_blank">Link number 1</a>
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000068" target="_blank">Link number 2</a>

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:56 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by mpm '95 C4:
<strong>Thanks Jeff, funny I have the HIDs lights on my C4 but they shine like a standard hallogens, where the xenon's on the Audi's have that blue light...</strong><hr></blockquote>

There is a distinct difference between the Halogen and Xenon headlights on the 993. While the HID's may not appear as blue as the Audi Xenon lights, they are clearly whiter than the Halogen version.

Quick Reply: In the market for a twin...