Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying high milage 993 Turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002 | 04:11 AM
bimmer
Track Day

Post Buying high milage 993 Turbo??

I am looking at 96' 993 twin turbo with 60,000 miles. It has good service records and runs well.

What sort of things become important at this point with these high milage cars? How long do turbos last before replacement? etc.,etc.. Of course I'll get the car compression tested...

Should I be able to drive another 60,000 miles without too much problems?
Old 08-13-2002 | 12:11 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I would look for things such as worn guides, they are known to carry the same issue of as the early turbos and 3.2s. You can do a leak down and pull a valve cover and check for excessive movement in the stem. Check the tranny, drop it in first gear doing about 20MPH. If it sounds like straight cut gear Ford truck, the tranny is an issue. Also things such as clutch and the struts are also should be looked at. As far as the rest of the car if these things check out the cars are near bullet proof. The lifters will occasionally cause an issue, but that is not that big of a deal. You might check the pressure pipes to the intercooler, they too were updated in 97. I personally wouldn't consider 60K high mileage and would much rather have a car that was driven then one that wasn't. Good luck in your search, the TT is a phenomenal car!
Old 08-13-2002 | 12:37 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I wouldn't actually consider 60k a high mileage car. After all they are 6 or 7 years old now. There are a number of great threads in the archives on what to look for in these beasties. I used them to help me research my purchase a few months ago.
The transmission whine is an indication of a bent first gear, usually caused by the previous owner dumping the clutch at 4000 rpm!
Basically a full pre-purchase inspection should tell you what kind of shape the car is in.
I just turned 30K in mine, and I'm driving it every day, so I'll be high mileage before too long.
Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Buying high milage 993 Turbo??