Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet brake pads.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002 | 03:17 AM
AndyGlaister
Intermediate

Smile Quiet brake pads.

The brakes on my 96 993tt are excellent; they have good initial bite and when pushed always stop the car hard enough to really surprise me.

I autocross about once a month, but generally drive on the highways. My brakes squeak too much though, when around town it's annoying to squeak so much when coming to a stop. I am willing to give up some of the exceptional braking power for less noise - can someone recommend a set of pads that is silent? Yes, I have had the front pads replaced at a Porsche dealer and asked that they check the backing plate and other mounting hardware - nothing wrong there.

Thanks,
Old 07-19-2002 | 10:48 AM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Squeal is probably the result of brake dust build-up on your OEM pads from being run hard at the AX's every month. You can try spraying them with a water hose nozzle after each event or removing them and lightly sanding the surface to remove the build-up. A better option is to use a set of Pagid or similar aftermarket pads for the AXs and your OEM pads for the street.
Old 08-06-2002 | 12:20 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I am by no means an expert on this, but I will relay what my trusted mechanic told me Saturday. I have the same problem. My car was modified for the track by the previous owner and has some flavor of Padgid pad on it. It too squeals most egregiously, but functions wonderfully.
Anyway, my mechanic told me that I would have to replace both the pads and the rotors if I want to guarantee that the squeal will go away. He cited the fact that pad material gets transferred to the rotor and rotor material gets transferred to the pad, and if you just change pads, you might get a juddering effect. There was a very good article about this posted on the <a href="http://www.coolrotor.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm" target="_blank">stoptech</a>web site.
Anyway, I'm probably going to leave mine as it is and re-evaluate when I need to replace the rotors.

Quick Reply: Quiet brake pads.