Sponsored by:

DIY Help - Cat Pipe and Turbo S Aux. Oil Cooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 07:56 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DIY Help - Cat Pipe and Turbo S Aux. Oil Cooler Install

O.K. - thanks to a few people on this board (Vinny and Jeff) I was able to install my new IC. My confidence is up, so I am moving to the next projects:

1) Install Cargraphic Cat pipes;

2) Install Turbo S auxiliary oil cooler.

Does anyone have any advice on either of these projects or can anyone point me to instructions for these? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got instructions on how to install the Turbo S oil cooler.. One problem though, they are in German! I'll post them to the board anyways. There are some useful pictures. Perhaps you have a German friend that could translate???

I'll also check the shop manuals. I don't remember seeing anything in there, but I'll double check to be sure.

If you are going to be installing the turbo S cooler soon, I'd love to watch over your shoulder. I'm interested to see how the bumper cover comes off and on again. I heard that if you jack up the front and take off the front wheels, it makes it a lot easier.

You should probably change your oil at the same time if you are opening up the oil pipes.

Jeff
Old 04-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

vielen Dank, silberne Gewehrkugel. Jedoch sind die Anweisungen im tiff-Format und nicht in einem Textes. Wenn die Menge des Textes klein ist, tippe ich sie gerade ein und sehe, was geschieht. Jeff

Translation:

thank you, silver rifle bullet. However the statements are in the tiff format and not in text. If the quantity of the text is small, I type it even and see, what occurs. Jeff

Jeff
Old 04-17-2002, 04:36 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Jeff - I may do the cat pipes this weekend if I can work up the courage. I may choose not to do the oil cooler if I cannot get some decent instructions (this one scares me a bit).

I have the 993TT shop manual on disk, so I can probably print some diagrams of the exhaust system.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:47 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

The turbo S oil cooler install is not that complicated. You just need the large 30, 32 or 34mm wrench to disconnect the stock oil hose.

Just have to be careful installing back the plastic bumper skin since the rubber welting sometime need to be refastened using staples (be careful with the staples scratching the metal part)
Old 04-18-2002, 02:31 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Here a link to some instructions that Gert gave me a while ago. It's a tiff file, so you will need to save it and open it up in your favorite editor.

<a href="http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/~jchan/POWERK4.TIF" target="_blank">Turbo S Installation Instructions</a>

Jeff
Old 04-19-2002, 09:35 AM
Vinnie
Instructor

Bill,

I never installed a Turbo S oil cooler, but I did install a Cargraphics one and it wasn't too bad. My kit did not require cutting (bolt in), I don't know if the Turbo S oil cooler does or not. Front bumper can be removed in 20-30 minutes (a la Robin's site) and Jeff is definitely correct when he says its easier with the wheels off. Pram is right on the wrenches...these are big bad *** wrenches you need! But I did not have a probem with the rubber welting. This is also a good time to check your AC and oil (ballast/resistors), BOTH of mine were bad! Don't forget to add a little more oil on fill up after the oil change, or if you're not doing an oil change you will still need to replace some (with a little extra) for the oil that comes out of the lines and cooler! If you do decide to do it yourself, please feel free to call me if you're stuck on something. Good luck

Kind regards,
Old 04-19-2002, 02:06 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Vinnie - you are clearly more mechanically inclined than me - you make it sound so easy. The Turbo S cooler should be a similar install, it is just smaller.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:01 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the replies - I was able to get both the cat pipes and Aux oil cooler installed successfully. I will be putting together DIY instructions with photos for the oil cooler install and will e-mail it to Robin for posting on his site.
Old 05-04-2002, 03:25 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Sometime in June I would like to sell my Turbo S cooler. I am going to a Cargraphics unit. I track the car in extremely hot weather (CA High Desert) and I want the extra cooling. The cooler has been on the car for about a year.

So far the Turbo S cooler has been fine...I just tend to go overboard on everything, cooling included.

Make me an offer I can't refuse.
Old 05-04-2002, 07:11 PM
Carl Young
Track Day

Martin, I did the same thing last year. For our part of the world you'll like the bigger cooler.
Carl PS If you get too many offers, my "S" cooler is for sale also, as well as a spare Cargraphics ECU, stock seats, etc

Quick Reply: DIY Help - Cat Pipe and Turbo S Aux. Oil Cooler Install