Sponsored by:

Anyone change the Cams in their TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 04:32 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone change the Cams in their TT

Has anyone changed the cams in their TT to say RUF cams? If so, what type of performance changes did you see?
Old 04-08-2002, 06:15 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Unless you are upgrading turbos and ECU, the cam change doesn't make much sense. But, if you must know, the Euro RS cams are worth about 25 hp and 30 ft lbs. of torque. I suspect that some tuners use the Porshe RS cams with their part numbers. Stay away from the GT2 cams.(mechinical)The car will NOT idle, no matter what any tuner tells you. Your results may very depending on the other mods.
Jim B.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:23 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Jim - thanks for the reply - I was starting to think no one out there had done this. My car has GT-1 turbos, a remapped ECU, a larger IC, GT2 fuel pressure regulator, some exhaust modifications (not exactly sure what these are as the records I have don't document them), Turbo S auxilliary cooler, a lowered suspension, etc. It is supposed to be around 500 HP. I was thinking the cams might be a good thing to upgrade if the opportunity arises in the future. I know RUF makes a 993TT cam and Andial uses the Euro RS Cam. I was primarily interested in hearing from people who have done this and whether it is worthwhile. My car is very driveable now - it feels very much like the stock car except under hard acceleration and is primarily a street car.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:52 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't believe you want to do this with the cams you could get a hold of, because they would move the power band up higher.

If you are racing, that's one thing. But if it's a street car, you need all of the power you can get in the lower RPM range, and I believe these cams would reduce the low-end torque.

Remember, getting more HP is very addictive. You always want more and maybe never will be satisified. (At least I wasn't). The biggest bang for the buck would be to replace the CATS with straight-through pipes.

Rick
Old 04-08-2002, 11:58 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

You didn't say if you had a lightened flywheel or not. The reason I mention this is because the RS cams push the rpm range up a bit and may negate some the bottom end you might be expecting.
The lightened flywheel spins up a little quicker which offsets anything you might loose with the cams on bottom end. Idle is a little more lumpy, but from 4000 rpm up, "its a very happy motor".
This cam also likes twin plugs, which will add another 30 lbs. ft. of torque.
At this level even the GT2 clutch is borderline for track events if your running R compound tires or slicks.
If you are already at 500 hp level, a cam change might be in order, but be prepared for a clutch change if you are still running a duel mass set up. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:35 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
I have RS Tunings cams in my motor, they retain the hydraulic actuation - I don't know whether they are Carrera RS cams or unique to RS Tuning. Regardless 'cos RS Tuning won't sell you just the cams on their own. If you use the Carrera RS cams, you want to buy an ECU program that has been developed on the dyno with these cams and your other mods this will give you maximum power/torque and throttle response as well as a smooth idle. Surprise surprise, I know RS Tuning have done this configuration for at least one other tuner -he is Phil at Tech 9 in the UK 00441514255911 speak to Phil he has done a few 993tt's with your mods + Carrera RS cams and can probably point you in the right direction.
Oh and he speaks good english
Old 04-09-2002, 04:00 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Rick - I do have a set of Cargraphic cat bypass pipes that I will install before my first time to the track. I have been told this is a nice modification as well.

It sounds like maybe cams are not worth doing unless I am going for an extreme HP setup like Andial's 3.8 twin plug deal. I was just applying my knowledge from my 930 tweaking days and the fact that RUF uses different cams in their Turbo R package.

Quick Reply: Anyone change the Cams in their TT