Sponsored by:

Turbo Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 04:26 AM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Turbo Tires

Having finally worn out my P-Zeros (badly cupped, noisy, flat spot when sitting for more than 24 hours, etc.) on my 97TT, I'm in the market for new rubber. I'd appreciate anybody's first hand experience with current tire models and brands that have the following characteristics:

- Quiet, softer ride, don't flat spot when sitting for awhile (a big issue with me).

As you can see, I'm looking for a tire that is best for normal street driving and not track or aggressive street action.

I'm particularily interested in any real life experience with Bridgestone S03, Michelin Pilot Sport, Continental Sport Contact 2, Yokohama AVS Sports.

I have a friend that put S03s on his M3 and experienced flat spotting if he lets the car sit for more than a day or so. I'm inclined to go with the Michelin, as I've always had good experience with the Michelins. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks...
Old 04-02-2002, 05:29 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Boostid
I have the new S03 on my tt, have done 10k miles and am very pleased with them, they seem to be a good all round performer quieter than the S02 and good in the wet (as good as any tyre can be when handling big torque) and have the benefit of a low wear rating. Can't comment on the flat spot issue as I've never experienced it.
Another tyre worth considering is the Dunlop SP Sport 9000/9090 which I know Cargraphic used on a 650hp Nurburgring busting 993 turbo and raved about. The Dunlop is rated as a relatively quiet tyre also
I have never tried the Michelins as they always seem a bit overpriced in the UK, but I know of respected tuners who use them.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:07 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I like the Toyo T1-S. It has a good ride and is fairly quiet, don't know how it will wear since I have only had them for 5k miles though.
<a href="http://www.toyo.com" target="_blank">www.toyo.com</a>
Greg
Old 04-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Greg,

It appears that Toyo does not offer the 225/40 and 285/30 sizes in 18" dia. What sizes are you running?
Old 04-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Viken,

I have the 235/40/18s in the front. In the rear I have 295/35/18s. The fronts have a diameter of 25.4" The rear 26.1" I got the 295's because a friend of mine that ran in the World Challenge had them as rain tires and never used them, I bought them for $50 each so I couldn't pass it up. They make a 285/35 which is 25.9"

According to their website they make a 225 235 and 245 in a 40 series tire.

I like the taller sidewall as it gives a better ride and protects the rim from potholes.

Greg
Old 04-02-2002, 07:27 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by TB993tt:
<strong>Boostid
I have the new S03 on my tt, have done 10k miles and am very pleased with them, they seem to be a good all round performer quieter than the S02 and good in the wet (as good as any tyre can be when handling big torque) and have the benefit of a low wear rating. Can't comment on the flat spot issue as I've never experienced it.
Another tyre worth considering is the Dunlop SP Sport 9000/9090 which I know Cargraphic used on a 650hp Nurburgring busting 993 turbo and raved about. The Dunlop is rated as a relatively quiet tyre also
I have never tried the Michelins as they always seem a bit overpriced in the UK, but I know of respected tuners who use them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Boosted,

I did tire testing for Pirelli in Canada a while back and we found that Dunlop usually makes two series of tires, one for the home or ROW market and one for the North American market. There is a dramatic difference in performance between the two versions of SP8000's we tested at the time. One set was made in Germany for the European market and the other set was made in Asia for the North American market (perhaps even Asia too?). The times on the course and sidewall deflection were dramatically different.

You find many tuners using Dunlop tires including RUF, but they are not the same tires we can buy here in North America.

fc-racer
Old 04-04-2002, 11:09 AM
simaloney
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was replacing my SO's which I managed to kill in about 5thousand miles and I dont think I was going mad, I could only find PZero's in the right size.

I was told if you fiddle with the size of the rubber i.e. dont have 285/30 18's it can screw up the 4wd system.

Dont know the truth in that, but it might be worth knowing.

Si

Quick Reply: Turbo Tires