Sponsored by:

need advice on 993tt power upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 08:07 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post need advice on 993tt power upgrade

I'm about to start upgrading my 993 and would a like some advice on what I'm considering doing.
To start I will be twinpluging the heads as well as o-ringing them with a mild port and polish. I will be putting titanium valve springs and retainers with stock valves. GT-2 cams. stock rods with arp rod bolts. k-24 sport turbos. Larger IC. and a 5 bar F.P.R.with a reprogrammed E.C.U.. Will this combo work well, Who would you use to reprogram you E.C.U.. will stock injectors flow enough fuel. Not interested in a lot of lag, I can live with a bit. (have a modified 930 for that)
Old 07-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Since the ECU is very important, I would start there. Contact the vendor that writes the software for the ECU to see if your mechanical changes are compatible and make sense for the horsepower you want with the octane available to you. For example, see the thread about the Ruf 993 Turbo R. This car generates 490 HP with 98 RON. The only internal engine changes are the cams. Everything else was done to improve breathing and cooling to accommodate the higher boost levels.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't want to have very much lag, get the GT1 Street turbos. Don't get the K24-GT2 turbos as they induce a lot of bottom-end lag.

As far as tweaking your ECU.... call Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems. A true expert in this field, and has done dozens of 993TT upgrades, including dual-plug heads... etc.

Steve's number is 503-244-0990

Rick
<a href="http://www.993TT.com" target="_blank">www.993TT.com</a>
Old 07-13-2002, 12:20 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Bill, and start at the ECU. The twin plug set up requires a completly different ECU. Porsche GT-2s ran a TAG system. Other race teams ran the Roock programable system.
Matching the turbos is very important if you want useable power. Ruf's set up is good, I like the Gt2 setup, becasue I run the car on the track and need the boost from 4000 up.
I'd pass on the GT2 cams, unless you don't mind a 1500 rpm idle. These motors are very stout up to 520-540 hp when the rods become the weak point.

Valve guides and dual mass flywheel are the only really marginal items in the stock motor. The EVO racemotors were the only 993tt with special O rings in the heads. The were making about 650 hp.
Porsche reengineed the 993tt so that the piston is up in the head eliminating the thermal load on the head gasket(ring)that the 930s had.
Suggest you check out <a href="http://www.993tt" target="_blank">www.993tt</a> board under engine modification. Lots of good stuff from our friend in Portland- Rick.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:53 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Jim Brady wrote:
The twin plug set up requires a completly different ECU. Porsche GT-2s ran a TAG system. Other race teams ran the Roock programable system.

This is not correct, the twin plug set up can be made to work perfectly with the stock Motronic, Porsche ran the TAG system for racing because with TAG being a small manufacturer, they were better able to accomodate the continuous changes in programming that is needed in racing. Roock did not have the knowledge to be able to manipulate the Motronic to produce the most powerful engines.
I'd pass on the GT2 cams, unless you don't mind a 1500 rpm idle.
Go the the right tuner who can work with the Motronic and you will get a smooth 900rpm idle Suggest you check out <a href="http://www.993tt" target="_blank">www.993tt</a> board under engine modification. Lots of good stuff from our friend in Portland- Rick.
Lots of good stuff, but like many places on the net, lots of opinion.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Since Biiig HP lives in Italy and can be easily driving his 993TT atspeed whereas we would be all in US jails.......perhaps the best and easily the SMARTEST move would be to visit RUF, RS Tuning, FVD Germany, and TTP tuning in Germany.

BIG HP- could see all the latest 993TT parts and actually drive some modified 993TT cars and make the best educated decision. These Tuners all have the software tuning for European gasoline and are "basically 1-2 days driving time" to each firm.

FYI, the TOP European and USA teams competing in 993TT GT2 EVO had switched over to an aftermarket EFI DME and had ditched the Motronic. This occurred during the last 5 years these cars were running fast in FIA GT and IMSA/Sportcar.

Roock Racing and Franz Konrad Racing both of Germany both ran the Thielert engine management system.

Konrad Motorsport uses Thielert engine mangement and engine development on the awesome Saleen S7R.

ANDIAL and Porsche Motorsport are the Thielert Gruppe contacts for all of North America.
Have a great day!
Joe Fab
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist

Quick Reply: need advice on 993tt power upgrade