'96 Arena Red 993 Turbo Available

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 03:08 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post '96 Arena Red 993 Turbo Available

For those of you interested, the Ferrari dealer in Orange County, CA has a really nice Arena red/grey Turbo available. The car is in mint condition with 41K miles and full service records. Power seats, Carbon fiber shifter and handbrake and an aftermarket stereo. I believe the asking price is in the high 60's or low 70's.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:53 PM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viken et al,
I have a 996C4S on order, but have never really gotten the idea of getting a 993TT out of my mind. Is there a significant downside to getting a 41k mile car of this nature?How easily can a trustworthy mechanic tell if the car has been abused, even if it is cosmetically cherry?
Also, at that kind of mileage, what would be the likely mechanical expenditures in the near future?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-19-2001, 11:59 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great deal Viken! I wish that this had come along a year ago. DOH!

privates8, I think that if I were to buy a porsche again, I wouldn't be turned off by a mid mileage TT. Mine had less than 10K when I got it.

After you have an idea of what is involved in maintaining them, it's not so scary. Check out www.993tt.com for a good write up on what to look for when buying a TT. Get a PPI and a leak down test and you should be fine.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2001, 02:09 AM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you guys think that the difference between the '96 and '97 should be a factor in the purchase of one of these cars( I keep reading about the ability to chip the ECU in the '97, but not the '96. I do not know what else might have been different as well).
Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-20-2001, 10:57 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by privates8:
<STRONG>Is there a significant downside to getting a 41k mile car of this nature?How easily can a trustworthy mechanic tell if the car has been abused, even if it is cosmetically cherry?
Also, at that kind of mileage, what would be the likely mechanical expenditures in the near future?</STRONG>
Typically, a very low mileage 5-year old car is more likely to create short-term problems than one that has been driven regularly and more often. Also, it all depends on how the car was driven and maintained.

I am told that this car is a fine example with service records. Any competent Porsche shop could easily go over it and give it a clean bill of health. At 41K miles, it should still be young.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:00 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

<STRONG>Do you guys think that the difference between the '96 and '97 should be a factor in the purchase of one of these cars( I keep reading about the ability to chip the ECU in the '97, but not the '96. I do not know what else might have been different as well).</STRONG>
There is no significant differences between the two years. I'd get a '96 over a '97 if it was the better example. As to the chipping issue, if you're going to do it, you could always purchase a '97 DME which is not a big deal.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:12 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Speaking of TT's for sale, here is one on EBAY for 85K.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2001, 11:44 AM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff,
I have actually watched eBay closely for TTs.This particular one is listed on the Motorcars International site and has been for months. They list the price as $99.5k on their website.
They are fishing on eBay and most of the Turbos listed never actually meet their reserve on eBay and wind up being listed over and over agin.
This is a longwinded way of saying that I do not think that they intend to sell this car for $85k(although I guess that would be a good price for this car-what do you guys think is right for this particular car with 7k miles?
Steve
Old 12-20-2001, 11:58 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

<STRONG>This is a longwinded way of saying that I do not think that they intend to sell this car for $85k(although I guess that would be a good price for this car-what do you guys think is right for this particular car with 7k miles?</STRONG>
IMO, 85K sounds fair and anything less starts to be a bargain.
Old 12-20-2001, 01:32 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

I second Viken's thoughts.. I bought my 96 Polar Silver TT with 10K miles for $95K a year ago. A 10% drop in value seems pretty fair considering how the stock market has been.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2001, 01:53 PM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually have contacted the guys representing the car. They told me that $85k would just get them out of the car and that they might consider around $90k. I also thought that 85k would be something worth going for , but you have me actuallly thinking seriously about that car that you mentioned, Viken. I put an inquiry in with that dealer and they have not emailed me back yet.If they do, then I might be asking you guys to recommend someone to do a PPI . I do wonder a little about the arena red though. I kind of had my heart set on the silver.
Steve
Old 12-20-2001, 02:07 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

That's a tough dilemna.. I really searched long and hard for a polar silver TT. For me, that is the classic Porsche color, similar to buying a red ferrari. But to each his own! I would say that if you are going to be spending this amount of money, get the one that you absolutely want.

I might push the Motorcars Intl guys a bit more. During this economy, I would bet it's hard for them to turn down 85K when it's staring them in the face. For them, it's only a 5K difference, but they may lose lose more ( depreciation, opportunity costs, etc) if they end up keeping the car around for another year. Try reminding them of that.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2001, 03:10 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

<STRONG>but you have me actuallly thinking seriously about that car that you mentioned, Viken. I put an inquiry in with that dealer and they have not emailed me back yet.If they do, then I might be asking you guys to recommend someone to do a PPI . I do wonder a little about the arena red though. I kind of had my heart set on the silver.</STRONG>
Steve, call Pat @ 714-892-5555 to discuss the Arena red car.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:58 PM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Viken,
Pat emailed me that they sold that car yesterday.
Steve
Old 12-20-2001, 07:25 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

<STRONG>Viken,
Pat emailed me that they sold that car yesterday.
Steve</STRONG>
Doh! Sorry to hear that, privates8. It was probably not meant to be then..

Jeff

Quick Reply: '96 Arena Red 993 Turbo Available