Sponsored by:

GTII Steel syncros?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 10:50 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question GTII Steel syncros?

Any of you running the GTII steel syncros in your TT? I have to do some tranny work, damn first gear and debating if I should do this.
Stephen
Old 03-30-2002, 10:54 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unless you're doing a lot of track driving, steel syncro's are not necessary. However, if the stock ones need replacing, one might consider the steel version for a few bucks more.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:42 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Viken,
If figure I would practice the one touch theory and build it to keep for a while. I have to go in there any way and wondered just how durable the steels really were. My days of launching 600HP at 4500RPM are gone, but I also don't want to go back in there. It will see some DEs but that is probably it. Sad thing the car only has 25K on the ticker. Lucky me to catch an early 97 build.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:13 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stephen,

From what you are saying, you don't need steel syncro's. But if you have the tranny open and you don't mind spending the bucks, go for it. The steel parts will probably last forever if the car is mostly driven on the street.
Old 03-30-2002, 04:03 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Stephen,
I have them in my race car. I think the second gear synchro is a three piece unit that costs about $1300, the rest are about $150 if I remember right. Might want to do billet shift forks as well. Are you going to do the tranny yourself? If not I can give you the name/number of my mechanic, he probably does more trannys (mostly for race teams) in a month than most shops do in a year.
Greg
Old 03-30-2002, 08:08 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Greg,
Thanks for the lead, however I am a tuner and will be doing this one myself. To be honest I am not really wild about having to do it simply because I thought I had covered this base when I bought a 97 verses a 96. Oh well, I have never done a G50 6 speed, plenty of 5s so this should be fun..I think.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:39 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I figured you would do it yourself. If you decide not to let me know, and I will forward you his info.
Greg
Old 03-31-2002, 12:43 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by PorschePhD:
<strong>Greg,
Thanks for the lead, however I am a tuner and will be doing this one myself. To be honest I am not really wild about having to do it simply because I thought I had covered this base when I bought a 97 verses a 96. Oh well, I have never done a G50 6 speed, plenty of 5s so this should be fun..I think.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I assume you bent first gear? WHile the 97's were stronger, they are not immune to this, and you may have gotten a car before the improved part.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:46 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Mark,
I wish I could take the blame for this one...I wouldn't complain so much about having to do this. PO is the blame. It is also my fault as the car wasn't checked close enough before it was shipped. Hard to say what exactly the abuse was...but I also know that the build date is before the update, read: early 97. I should have checked that first. I figured it wasn't a concern as the car was a 97 w/20K on the clock. That and ultimately I knew there wasn't anything I couldn't fix. So...I take some responsibility in this. I would feel better if I had a 6K dump and rubber burning tire story to tell..but sadly no. I will be pulling it tomorrow and starting the process. I had tried to get the dealer to pick up this tab because of the low mileage and I knew it was an issue. He assured me along with the rep that they NEVER repaired one as a warranty issue and the ones that were replaced came out a "good will" fund because of the cost of the car. So I hit a brick wall with that one. I have a couple of options here, just trying to make it so I don't have to go back in there. I also have a pal that has a tranny that he never installed, but who knows if it is bent either. I have a slue of goodies to stick on this toy, but will refrain from any of them until this issue is fixed. In fact I haven't driven the car since I discovered it. Monday morning agenda....pull the tranny. YUCK
Old 03-31-2002, 01:47 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Thanks Greg!!! I appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:14 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"....build date is before the update, read: early 97."

Anybody know the build date for the improved 1st gear?

Quick Reply: GTII Steel syncros?