Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between 996 TT wheels and 993 TT wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 02:47 PM
Jeff 993Turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Differences between 996 TT wheels and 993 TT wheels?

Hi Everybody...

Does anybody know the differences between these wheels, in terms of weight and strength?

Also, will 996 TT wheels fit a 993 TT? Did they change the offsets or rim size for these models? I'm considering getting an extra set of 996TT wheels for the track for my 993 TT.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 06-07-2001, 03:48 PM
tc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff,
I bought a set of 996tt wheels with pzeros from somebody who bought a 996tt and upgraded the wheels. I put them on my 993tt and so far have been great. I don't know about the offsets but the 996tt rear wheel is 11 inches wide instead of 10 inches. More rubber on the ground. The rear fender well is filled out a little more, although the wheels are a little less than flush. The front doesn't look much different... The wheels seem to be a little taller than the 993tt wheels, and subsequently fills out the gap between the wheel and the fender. I had considered putting lowering springs or a coil over to reduce the gap, but now it looks much better. No track time yet, but I generally feel that more rubber on the ground helps. When i get a chance, I post some pictures so you can see what it looks like. No rubbing or anything like that to worry about. If your interested in a set, check ebay. I have seen several sets listed. If none are current, do a check on old auctions and email the person to see if they are still available. That's what I did. No regrets... when I consider the price of a new set of tires, which is what I was originally ready for, the price of the wheel was pretty good. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2001, 05:00 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Just a thought but wouldn't 993 wheels be less expensive and more readily available?
If you are wanting them for the track I am guessing they don't have to be cosmetically perfect. But tc does have a good point in that the rears are a little wider at 11", but I wonder if you lowered the car with coil-overs (if that is in the plan) if they wouldn't rub.
Greg
Old 06-07-2001, 05:16 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff: I can't help you with the exact weight, but I'd guess the 996TT hollow spoke wheels are about the same as your stock wheels, with the rear at 11" wide being a bit heavier. Bear in mind, the 996TT hollow spokes just started showing up on the Turbos--all earlier 996TT's had monoblock versions of this wheel,which is several pounds heavier. I would bet most 996TT take-off wheels on the market are not the hollow spoke versions.

As for offset and width, the fronts are identical to your stock turbo wheels. The rear 996 wheel is 11" wide with a 45 mm offset, as compared to 10" and 40 mm for the 993TT. Also, the 295's (tires) that you will need are a bit taller (~.25") than the 285's you currently have.

As for track use, this new wheel/tire combo would only increase understeer. I don't know if this would matter to you.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Differences between 996 TT wheels and 993 TT wheels?