Sponsored by:

TT Racing and longevity questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Post TT Racing and longevity questions

Hello, I will be racing a TT in C class. I have raced for a number of years but this is the first time with the TT configuration. Are there some specific recommendations as far as improvements that You TT owners with track experience would recommend. I will already have dual Oil coolers(big 964/993 type) and will run a cooler on the Trans. Also any thoughts on which Turbo wing may provide best downforce and yet would not cause the car to be progressed into class B. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old 07-10-2003, 09:47 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glen
Active brake cooling like a tech art set up will help, along with Paget Orange pads and Castrol SRF fluid. Run the Turbo S front spoiler with the GT2 street wing. That works and there are 6 adjustment. Eibach valve springs and bronze valve guides, should give 50 track hours with no problems. Porsche Motorsports says 40 race hours before top end rebuild, I got over 100 hours on a Andial/PM engine. These motors are pretty bullet proof. Transmission needs the steel synchros and the dual mass flywheel/clutch is a POS. If the rules allow go to the sport flywheel/clutch GT2 set up. I won't go into suspension because it where the rule bending comes in. Finally,do not run the NOS lines through the roll cage because the scrutineers like to drill the cages to check wall thickness and may hit the line.
Good luck.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Chris Cervelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glen,

You are on the right track with the dual oil coolers. That is 100% necessary even with a non-turbo 993.

JayB's engine comments are on the mark. Your engine life should be a little longer since you won't have more than stock hp which will help keep the heat down. I agree, however, that 40 hour top end rebuilds are right on target.

Your biggest problem will be brakes. You'll be weighing in at 3307 lbs which means you will go thru the corners slower than all your C class competitors (all else being =, of course). And since you have at least 100 more hp than them you will arrive at these corners much faster. This means a great deal more heat into the brakes. Expect to do front pads every event and rotors every other event. (this gets old, quickly). SRF will be necessary. An effective brake cooling and 4wd just don't go together.

Tires are going to be another problem. I'd run 245/40 18 Hoosiers on 8.5 inch front wheels, and 305/30 18 Hoosiers on 11 inch rear wheels. Don't use BBS race wheels because the rear centers will last only about 30 hours with such a heavy car. Bring lots of tires, they are not going to last.

The rules do allow you to improve the suspension considerably. This is where the money should be spent. Every fast C car these days runs Moton triple adjustable shocks, so without them you are not going to be competitive. The rules also allow removing all the rubber bushings, which is key to getting a 993 to handle nicely. You will need a good limited slip differential. The ABD your car is equipped with does reduce wheelspin, but only be applying the brakes, which is not good for lap time.

I think the 993 Turbo in C would be fun, but the running costs are going to be much higher than a 993RS, which is the car to beat in C. Also, I think the 993 RS will be faster on most tracks. The 993 RS runs 500 lbs lighter than the Turbo, and that is hard to overcome.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
JB and Chris Thanks very much! CHris I left You a VM today.

Quick Reply: TT Racing and longevity questions