Sponsored by:

In The Club...Long

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 06:38 PM
Rocky Rapsavage
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post In The Club...Long

Took delivery of a Arctic Silver/Classic Gray 1997 Twin Turbo last Thursday. Beautiful car...what a ride!

Some observations after a week and about 400 miles of driving:
Love the acceleration...finding it next to impossible to keep my foot out of it. A good friend of mine has a modified 1995 ZR1 Corvette and was surprised at the turbo's acceleration and handling. Let him behind the wheel for a bit. He glanced at the speedo and couldn't believe we were traveling at 130 mph plus. Said it felt more like 80. He was impressed! This sucker goes, even on the 91 octane junk we have available here.

Ride quality...depends on the road surface, which varies quite a bit here in good old North Dakota. Let's just say I'm trying to avoid roads with lots of tar strips or broken pavement. Harsh roads bring out some sqeaks which seem to come from somewhere behind me. And when I can't avoid the really harsh roads, I just crank up the stereo a bit to drown out the sqeaks. In all, just a minor irritant but would like to tame the sqeaks if I can. Might have the dealer take a whack at it since the car is under warranty.
On decent roads the car is an absolute joy...firm, yet quite, comfortable and wickedly fast. Also found out that it is rock-solid in the rain. No more white knuckles for me.

Fit and finish seem to be a notch above the Boxster I traded in and certainly better than the 1999 996 I owned a couple of years ago. Paint looks great. Two very small rock chips and that's it. They were expertly repaired and you really have to be looking for them in order to find them.
The carbon fiber and aluminum package add nice touches to the supple leather interior. The car has a factory Bose sound system with digital processing and I quess it sounds OK, though I'm not a real Bose fan.

The one thing I don't like, however, is the way the theft protection system operates. It can be a pain.
Other than that, all systems checked out fine and the dealer will be sending me a copy of all the computer readouts, maintainence performed, etc. Porsche also has a new extended warranty progam and I'm checking into that.

The car has just over 22,000 miles on it and I plan to drive it many more miles. No garage queen for me.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the purchase and plan to hang on to this car for a long-long time.
Thanks to everyone on this board for their assistance. It's been a great week!
Old 06-05-2003, 06:53 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Good for you Rocky! On the squeak it could be the infamous 993 windshield squeak. These can occur in the front and back windshields and can drive you nuts. They are also very hard to localize. There is a fix for it that the dealer can perfrom involving insertion of a braided fiber between the windshield and the seal. You can also just squirt some silicone spray in there as a temporary solution (and also as a way to check if this is the problem).
Old 06-05-2003, 06:59 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I have owned mine for 6 months now, and still find excuses to go to the garage for this or that, but really just to look at the car.

A couple of tips:
1). Try to find a local 76 gas station that sells 100 octane race gas. Out here, its $4.25/gal. Blend it 1:2 with your 91 octane, and you have the gas the car was designed for: 94 octane. The difference to your wallet: about $12.00 per tank. The difference to your car: priceless.
2). To strat your car, put in the key and turn it until the little "immobilzer" icon lights up on the dash. Press the immoblizer button, and that light goes out, and the car is ready to start. Still a pain in the pattuti, but not so bad.
3). Your car should not squeak. Could be something simple like the rear wiper or rear speakers.

Again, enjoy your new toy.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:23 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Rocky Rapsavage, I PMed you.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:05 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow Great story, I hope to join you soon. I got a call from Intercity
and I am on the schedule!! Dont know when they pick it up exactly but
then 5-7 days to TT heaven!!
WOOOHOOOO!
OG
Old 09-09-2003, 05:44 PM
kurtv
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a 96 993 tt. I had the windshield squeaks that ZCAT3 mentioned until I had the windshield replaced. I have also heard that the windshield seal can be lubricated with a product called Pedro's Ice Wax which is available from most bicycle stores.

Recently I noticed my car was squeaking from the rear as well. I decided to condition the leather interior and notice that several of the screws holding the leather down had come loose. Conditioning and tightening of the screws seems to have helped a lot. There is a great product called Leatherique Rejuvinator Oil (www.leatherique.com) that is supposed to be one of the best products for conditioning your seats.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:25 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

OldGuy,

Glad to hear you finally found a TT - fantastic and good luck with your new purchase.
I have mine going for the PPI tomorrow - keep your fingers crossed they don't find anything (mine are).

- james
Old 09-09-2003, 08:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

BaB will do!
I should have mine in less than 3 weeks.
oohhhbooyyy
OG

Quick Reply: In The Club...Long