Sponsored by:

Remove Tray Under Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Rocky Rapsavage
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Remove Tray Under Engine?

As I write this my 97 Twin Turbo is on the rack getting it's inspection. Being new to this car, I have a couple of newbie questions.

1. Should I have them remove the tray under the engine for cooling purposes?

2. After checking various boards, it seems at least some owners have belt problems. While the car is being serviced, should I have the altenator and fan belts replaced, even if they look OK? Could use the old belts as a back up.

Thanks for these and any other thoughts.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:07 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

1.I have no trays on my car. It is supposed to help cooling if you take them off. Also oil leaks become apparent MUCH sooner. I was told the trays were an attempt at meeting certain European noise requirements.
2. I'd replace the belts if the tech says they need to be replaced.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:41 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you'll get a lot of religion on the engine tray issue. You'll be fine either way.

As for the belts, get the alternator pulley update also, the next time you get your belts changed.

I'd suggest doing some searches on the archives. There's a lot of information in there that would be very helpful to a new TT owner.

Welcome to the club and congrats on your purchase. How about some pics???
Old 05-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Rocky:

1) I'd get that undertray off ASAP. This will really help the longevity of the engine.

2) I woudl also inspect the belts very carefully and if in doubt, replace them. Its not fun to get stranded if you cannot change thme at the side of the road. Overall, its cheap insurance.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:38 PM
Peter S 993tt
Racer

Actually - I've been struggling with the belt issue - I suggest not only changing the belts and checking them regularly, as well as the pulley update. You should replace the fan idler bearing as well. That is the part that tends to go bad, creating heat melting belts, and roasting alternators.

Also carry a couple of extra belts in the trunk and an allen key - if you get stranded you can at least get the I/C off and put the spare belts on - via the starter if necessary - so you can get it to a mechanic.

Just some experience talking.

Peter
Old 05-29-2003, 02:47 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd recommend against using the porsche tools to get the IC off. Most likely you'll just hurt your hands. The toolkit tools are CRAP!

Check out my recommended 993 toolkit here:

<a href="http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/~jchan/blog/" target="_blank">http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/~jchan/blog/</a>

Quick Reply: Remove Tray Under Engine?