Sponsored by:

Bonding with my TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 06:54 PM
acastell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bonding with my TT

I cannot wait...I am heading down to Palm Springs (From San Francisco Bay Area) next week. I Planned to fly United, using Award Miles. Well, United flights stop in LA. The total travel time, including layover is about 4 hrs, once departed from SFO. If I factor in the time it takes me to get to and from the Airport, waiting for plane, picking up bags, then I am looking at close to 6.5 hours. Plus, with the layover in LAX, my golf clubs could get lost.

So, I am packing up the TT and heading south.

One-way mileage is 487 miles....all highway. If I average 75, it should take ~6.5 hours, the exact same as the plane...except, no crowds, no delays, not lost bags! Now, Highway 5 has a posted limit of 75, so I will average at least 85 for 280 miles, saving an additional ~30 min. That works out to 6 hours!

This is the first long trip >200miles one of my Porsches. After a decade of solid ownership, my longest journey was ~200 miles...what a sin!

I am looking forward to the drive more than the trip itself....

Anything I should check on the car before I leave?

Anthony
Old 04-04-2003, 07:13 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like fun - I have done that drive or a close approximation 3 times in the last month, all in Porsches (SF-LA and back, and SF-Willow Springs and back twice). The first trip was great - the next 2 got progressively worse as I got sick of I-5. My only advice is to watch out for all the mini-Vans and SUVs driving up your backside at 95. Other than that, have fun
Old 04-04-2003, 07:35 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
What's the hurry? Take 101 down to paso robles, then take the 46 over to 5. A touch slower, but really a nice drive. Trust me, nothing beats a road trip in a TT... enjoy it. In fact, think about taking the 50 over to the 395. Now THAT would be a nice ride!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do have a radar detector already???

That was the first thing that I took with me when I went to denver to drive my car back here.

Things I'd probably check are tire pressures and oil before the long drive.

I took the usual assortment of car supplies:
flashlight
simple tools
jumper cables
motor oil
flares
AAA card

But with the airline security resturctions now a days, I don't know if you can bring all those things on board now.

There was actually a funny story about the flares if anybody is intrested.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:40 PM
acastell
Racer

Ahhhh, a radar detector. I will not even condsider asking which one to get!!!!! I have read my fair share of posts on this. I will purchase one (the V1) this weekend.

Steve- Great idea. I should clarify that I am leaving on Thur and returning on Sat. If I can extend my Hall Pass for another day, then I will come back on Sunday, perhaps on Highway One. The price I pay for having a wife and 2 twin girls.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:39 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. Turbo down to PS, play some golf, get some grubb, and have a few cold ones. AHHHHHH the life! I used to drive I5 a lot back in my college days. What a boring highway. Look out for the CHP airplanes.

Anything I should check on the car before I leave?

Can you have PSS-9, Unichip, Cat Bypass, larger turbos, S oil cooler, and roll bar installed before you go?

Have a great time!

Eric
Old 04-14-2003, 03:25 PM
acastell
Racer

If you have not taken road trip with your TT (or any Porsche) then GO RIGHT NOW!!!!

My journey started Thur at noon from the SF Bay area on my way to Palm Springs. The trip is about 500 miles. It took about 45 min to get out of the Bay Area and onto Highway 5. The posted speed limit on Highway 5 is 70 mph, so 80 is probably safe from a law enforcement standpoint.

When I merged onto H5, I was pleased to see two things,

1) There was very little traffic
2) There was almost no wind

No wind is very important on H5 as this would crush MY willingness to speed. After a few miles at 80mph, mostly to get an idea of who was behind me and judge the wind, I put the hammer down! I hit 150 for the first time in my life- I will never do this again as it is WAY too dangerous for my skills and public roads. Fortunately, H5 is very straight with a very smooth new surface between 580 and 152. After the very brief meeting with 150, the car settled down to ~105. There it stayed for the better part of 250 miles.

I made sure to pass cars with caution and drive as responsibly as possible, at 100 mph. I made VERY few lane changes, I did not ride anyone's tail etc...other cars most often would change lanes long before I approached them. I was met with at least 10 thumbs up and MANY smiles of all things!!!

Couple of notes:
- The temp of the oil never got past 8:30...most of H5 was >82 degrees AND I had AC blowing most of the way
- I did not burn a drop of oil...I checked the oil the day before I left both on the gauge and in the car at Op temp. Did the same when I returned and the Gauge and the Dip stick were at the same level!
- I tached >3K RPM for hundreds of miles and 6 hours!
- The car was VERY smooth on the road- full stock suspension
- The seats were more comfortable that I expected (granted I am only 5'10")
- I used cruise control for 5 min at most...turned it on, got bored and then turned it off!

AND....Gas mileage. Remarkably, I average 19.1 MPG for 1,010 miles of driving. I have NEVER had better than 15MPG in the past. This goes to show that starting and stopping really takes their toll. And, I never rip through the RPMs at start up...always pretty conservative as I cannot afford a new clutch! My clutch is in perfect shape showing no signs of wear, and I want to keep it that way!

My return trip started at 6:30 am on Sunday. This trip had rain and wind. I found that I was driving much slower, obviously. I will say however, the 4 wheel drive felt planted. When I got to the grapevine, the rain was fierce. I averaged ~80mph up the hill and through the turns without issue! Very impressed with the car.

Oddly, I feel like the car runs better now...I know, I am nuts! I do think that the car is meant to have a good long drive at high speed to make it happy. I will say, it sure made me happy!

I am very glad to say that the car performed like a champion. Not a single smell, sound, feel that was not right...just pure German engineering at its finest!!!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 02:53 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like great fun. Needless to say, you're even more attached to the car than before.

Eric
Old 04-15-2003, 05:55 PM
MrClifton
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with on the way there or the way home, you must take 101. I took it by accident last year on the way home and decided to stay on it because I had heard it was a nice drive.

It takes you right through the heart of the smog and city ugliness but as soon as you turn south (about 1/2 hour) you travel through some beautiful cities and if you want to stop at the beaches, they are clean and beautiful. Is was not the southern California I expected. I believe it ads about 1 hour however, it is well worth it. The road winds and curves very nicely.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:56 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I think I am to late, but there is a highway that connects the 101 to the 5. I believe it's the 58. It connects santa margarita to buttonwillow. This is a must drive for you. Take it and you will not regret it. It's about 80 miles of NO ONE, full of nice twistie stuff and very nice long straight aways (i'm talking like mile long straight aways)

Quick Reply: Bonding with my TT