Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Tracked the car and ran into problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 10:11 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">On the boost sensor, does anyone know how a sensor located on the intake and only detecting intake vacuum be called upon to provide manifold absolute pressure to the boost gauge? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The unit reads boost, not vacuum. It sits on the fresh air intake, but the neck is connected via vacuum hose and runs to the throttle body. The unit is feed air right under the throttle plate.
Old 04-26-2003, 06:24 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by krish:
<strong>

So the million dollar question, what oil levels should we be running? My gauge was reading just below the midlevel mark at normal oil temps but went off the scale once I hit the 10 o'clock mark!! Would appreciate input on this anyone.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Glad you solved your problems! The same issue with my non turbo when I run the car on the track really hard... BUT it was MY fault. I saw the gauge and stick reading low ( about 1/4 on the gauge) and put in half a quart. Result: the oil expantion led to an overfill and a small mess in my engine bay. When I told my mechanic he gave me his fatherly look of why oh why did you mess with the car! He is a race mechanic with 30+ years of experience so besides now that I know never to attempt a fill up again after he has done an oil change, he showed me his trick on the next oil change. When you do an oil change put in 10 quarts if your car normally gets 11 or so. Run the car till you get normal operating temp and check the stick. If the oil registers still off the min on the stick and the gauge, then add 1/2 a quart or so. In my car ( yours maybe different a bit) it brings it usually to around 1/4 full on the gauge. Then he places a cotton towel over the spoiler and effectively restricts the cooling so the engine gets artificially hot. This trick usually brings the temp to 9 oclock + and you see the gauge and oil expanding. On the gauge Hot my car registers usually 3/4's to 4/5th full now and 1/4 full on normal temps. Since I stopped messing with the oil on my car no more spills!
That procedure he does it everytime to make sure ( he is too ****) although now I know that my coupe takes about 10.1/2 quarts and my cabrio 10 ( yes not all 911's are the same).

Quick Reply: Help! Tracked the car and ran into problems