Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Binding/rubbing noise coming from the front passenger side tire area.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 05:31 PM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Binding/rubbing noise coming from the front passenger side tire area.

The noise occurs when nearly coming to a stop on smooth surface, even when coasting (no brake). I jacked the car up this week end and didn't see anything wrong with the brake rotor or pads. I tried turning the front passenger side wheel while the tire was off the ground and couldn't hear it. I was thinking it might be the front sway bar or perhaps the front cv boot rubbing.

Any thoughts?

I'll probably take it to the dealer next week, If I can't figure it out. I've got a ($50 deductable) extended warranty.

Thanks in Advance.

Jon
Old 02-09-2003, 01:52 PM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turned out to be dried out front stabilizer bushings where they contact the bar. I jacked the car up, crawled under the front, removed the cover, loosened the stabilizer bar ends and bushings and soaked everything down with silicon spray (worked the stabilizer bar back and forth so the silicone could get in between the bar and rubber bushing contact surface). It's nice and quite now and saved me a trip to the dealer (I always worry they they will fix one thing and mess something else up).

Jon
Old 02-09-2003, 02:10 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. This kind of info can help the rest of us if we hear a similar noise. And good for you to find and fix it yourself. I agree about dealers often fixing one thing and wrecking something else. My TT is too new (to me, 51K miles) for me to have any dealer experience yet, but I do know that my local dealer (Rusnak, Thousand Oaks) has an absolute ACE mechanic on board.

Quick Reply: Binding/rubbing noise coming from the front passenger side tire area.