Sponsored by:

Legit or scam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003 | 05:51 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Post Legit or scam?

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2407931820&category=33748" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2407931820&category=33748 </a>

Does this look legit? I am posting on numerous boards.
Old 03-20-2003 | 02:45 PM
themarsman
Racer

I would stay away from that auction for a number of reasons.

Won't allow any type of escrow payments

Won't allow you to pick up the wheels in person

Hasn't had any feedback since Nov. of 2002 and only six transactions in 2002.

Seems like a scam to me, but if you wan't to take the risk good luck.
Old 03-20-2003 | 02:49 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

he has a good rating, i'd think he was pretty legit, but make sure to pay w/ something that covers you in case he doesn't come through.
Old 03-20-2003 | 03:00 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Fake. His previous transactions were for baseball cards and the last time he SOLD anything was 18 mos ago.

Beside what themarsman pointed out above, lots of typos in the ad and the picture looks like it was cut from an ad rather than an actual picture. Also claims to have any and all sizes - my understanding is that with HRE if a custom set is required it needs to be assembled at the factory and will require a number of weeks if not mos...I doubt he has everything in stock.

Pass on this one. If you want to check contact him and requist a size/offset that is non-standard and see whether he happens to have them in stock.

The eBay identity was probably hijacked.
Old 03-20-2003 | 07:21 PM
themarsman
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by soon2be993TT:
<strong>he has a good rating, i'd think he was pretty legit, but make sure to pay w/ something that covers you in case he doesn't come through.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Don't be fooled by someone with a good rating, it is quite common for people to find inactive accounts, hack the password, change the email address and then try to sell high dollar items. This is becoming a lot more common all of the time, so you need to do more research than just looking at their feedback. Also if you look at the add the only form of payment that he will accept is a wire transfer, so if something does go wrong you won't be able to get your money back.

If this was a reputable seller why would he only accept a wire transfer? If he was a reputable seller and was able to get these wheels so much cheaper than everyone else why wouldn't he pay of a full page add in Motor Trend and sell hundreds of sets? Too good to be true usually is!

I am about 95% sure this is a scam but if you want to send you hard earned money over the wire and hope you receive something, Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2003 | 12:55 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

good lookin out guys, i would of gotten hosed

Quick Reply: Legit or scam?