Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo rear tire wear. What's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 09:43 AM
TwinTurb
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason why any 911 eats rear tires is the fact that they use those massive rear tires are to turn the car. 911 suspension/engine layout is different than any other car...why else would they use such small tires on the front of the car in comparison to other cars. The front tires merely point the car and the rears grab on to keep oversteer down. If you've driven a 911 enough you'll know the feeling.
L8tr
Jeremy
Old 03-18-2003, 07:02 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Jeremy,

Hmmmm... not sure about that. The feeling I've heard expressed is that it is just the turbos that eat rear tires, but all 911s have the rear-weight bias. If you are not agreesively cornering the car, then you are not going to be scrubbing tires. I wonder if the thread that connects the guys with the excessive wear is a very agressive alignment, with lots of negative camber. This will cause the inside edges to wear prematurly. If that is the case, then the turbo should be no different than any other car running lots of negative camber. You pays your alignment nickle, you takes your choice (for optimum handling or long tire life).

Maybe?
Old 03-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had both a 993-C4S and a 993-TT. The rear was setup with a negative 1 1/2 degree camber on both cars, and the tire wear was the same. I would get around 8,000 miles.

Rick
<a href="http://www.993tt.com" target="_blank">www.993tt.com</a>
Old 03-21-2003, 09:06 AM
TwinTurb
8th Gear

Steve,
hmmm not sure about that either.... every porsche I've owned has had that problem and that range's from a 99 boxster, 91 911 c4, and a 2001 996 C2. (yes the boxster wore the rear tires out first even though it is much lighter and mid-engined) Porsche's really do use that mass on the rear wheel's to turn the car, it sound scrazy but do some research Hurley Haywood says this in one of porsche's factory 993 videos.
jeremy
Old 03-22-2003, 12:43 AM
AndyGlaister
Intermediate

Hmmm, so I looked at my last alignment and sure enough I have -1.4 degree camber alignment on the back - and I have 17,000 miles with at least 30% tread left (ie: they don't even look close to worn anywhere across the tire).

I still don't know why some people's cars are eating their tires. I assume you run slicks when you race Rick? So it's can't be your high speed tracking. Is my commute really SO boring - It has some nice corners and I do brake / turn hard (I won my class last year in AX)... And I don't run slicks?

Is there really that much difference in -1.5 and -1.4" camber in tire wear?

One other thing I have 0" toe at the front and max toe (0.08") at the back - I wonder if this has anything to do with tire life?

Can someone who is getting less than 10,000 miles on their tires upload their last alignment specs?

Quick Reply: Turbo rear tire wear. What's the deal?