Sponsored by:

Stiffness of stock suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Cesar,

I guess I owe you some donuts... or some dollars. Not exactly sure how that works. The treat is on me next time you're out in So. California. Good luck on the upgrade.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:07 PM
cesar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the Bilstein HD installed and what a difference. I bet those original shocks were shot awhile ago. I just thought it was normal for such a hard ride.

Worth the money!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

i just did bilstein pss9 on mine too and all the clanking and wobbling is gone, what a difference, i think my tuner dialed them in too low but i'll ride around like that for now, still anyone with stock suspension and springs should spend the 2-3k and get it done
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 PM
smddanny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can second that. I have just removed the orignal monroes from by TT and replaced with bilstein hd and eibach springs. The car is almost 1.5" lower and the ride is much smoother. Stiff mind you but no longer jarring. The original monroes at 35 K miles were so stiff that they challenged the straight line stability of the car. The front end litterally pogoed down the road and the front wheels felt like they were loosing contact.

My experience with the hds and eibachs...

I set the rear perches full up and the car is still lower than "turbo" ride height .. most of the way down to the rs spec.. so I had to set the fronts to get the proper rake and the front perches are near the bottom of the threaded range... perhaps .75 inches up from the bottom... so the front is also closer to the rs setting than the "turbo" ride height. All this makes me wonder if I should have reinstalled the USA turbo oem M030 springs. Does anyone have any comment here??? However the lower ride height doesn't seem to compromise the quality of the suspension as the ride is far better than monroe and suv height. Needless to say the feel of the car is awesome and I just love the 993 chassis .. the 996 feels so big and heavy by comparison (IMHO).

Also the quality of the eibachs is not near that of a factory component. For example the bottom turn of the rear spring was too tight and had a sharp inside corner. When I went to adjust it the edge of the spring tore up the aluminum thread that the perches run on on the aluminum hd. This required de-installation and removal of the spring to recover the thread with 1.25 mm pitch thread file and I cut and filed the offending end of the spring. Installers take note and be careful!
Danny Shapiro
96 933T

Last edited by smddanny; 01-06-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Stiffness of stock suspension