Turbo Timer for a 993TT???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:32 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Turbo Timer for a 993TT???

Hi folks,

I may be maniac but I always wait 2 minutes before shutting down the engine after a ride. Waiting in the car all the time may be anoying tough. I'm planning some little mods for the cold season and was wondering if there was something that some of you are using.

I did a search and found some threads talking about the topic but was not able to find any real answer.

Thanks in advance for the leads
Cheers
Pierre
Old 10-08-2006, 09:15 AM
kleinbbc2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine but the down side is leaving the car in neutral. I have people look at me like hey your car is still running...
Old 10-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Hi folks,

I may be maniac but I always wait 2 minutes before shutting down the engine after a ride. Waiting in the car all the time may be anoying tough. I'm planning some little mods for the cold season and was wondering if there was something that some of you are using.

I did a search and found some threads talking about the topic but was not able to find any real answer.

Thanks in advance for the leads
Cheers
Pierre
Pierre,
I waited about 5 minutes. But I also tried to drive quite careful, avoiding boost, before parking the car.

I think a device like that could be a bit tricky to setup with the immobilizer.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:34 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I take that turbo cool-down time to do something contructive... get the car cover 1/2 way on, or dusting the car, cleaning a wheel or two, wiping down the dash. or just standing back and admiring the ***.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:48 PM
bigimp65
Advanced

I have a rule...I take it real easy on the way out of my neighborhood, and then back from main streets into my neighborhood, this gives me about 5-7 mins of warm-up/ cool down action. But, if I'm out and shutting down away from my own garage, then I always give it about 5 mins to cool, like steve said there's always something to do to pass the time. i usually get out the duster.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:49 PM
kennyboy
Instructor

****! I didn't know you had to do the old turbo cool down on a 993tt?

I've just upgraded from a 4S - my turbo arrives in a week or so.... so it's good advice is it guys?

I remember doing it years ago on a Renault 5GT Turbo but I would have thought Porsche would have sorted it?
Old 10-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I take that turbo cool-down time to do something contructive... get the car cover 1/2 way on, or dusting the car, cleaning a wheel or two, wiping down the dash. or just standing back and admiring the ***.

LOl... I do the same since I have new GT1 Tubo from Kevin... I let it run for 5 min
Old 10-22-2006, 02:10 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an HKS model 0 Turbo timer that is NIB that someone can have for 50.00 plus shipping.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:41 PM
ignomini
Advanced

I'm not claiming to know, but am asking for some further input on the whole cool-down thing. I put 100k miles on a Mazda turbo (I forget what they called it) with no problems. I then put 42k miles on a 3rd gen RX7 with no problems. Everybody was always amazed how long my RX7 lasted on its original motor and turbos. While I wouldn't shut the cars off immediatley after using heavy boost, if they were driven around for a couple minutes after, I have always considered this enough.

Considering Porsches are air and oil cooled, it seems to me it would worse to let the car sit and idle with no air flow than to shut it down.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ignomini
I'm not claiming to know, but am asking for some further input on the whole cool-down thing. I put 100k miles on a Mazda turbo (I forget what they called it) with no problems. I then put 42k miles on a 3rd gen RX7 with no problems. Everybody was always amazed how long my RX7 lasted on its original motor and turbos. While I wouldn't shut the cars off immediatley after using heavy boost, if they were driven around for a couple minutes after, I have always considered this enough.

Considering Porsches are air and oil cooled, it seems to me it would worse to let the car sit and idle with no air flow than to shut it down.
Do those cars have water-cooled turbo's? That should help their longevity. And frequent oil changes would have helped as well. And perhaps there was an element of luck.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if it is possible to use this with the Immobilizer? If yes, I am interested.

Thanks

Originally Posted by LAT
I have an HKS model 0 Turbo timer that is NIB that someone can have for 50.00 plus shipping.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:08 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

This topic has come up a number of times with no conclusion.
If somebody has a turbo timer on their 993TT that works in conjunction with the drive block please provide details.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:23 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

It does not work from what I have been told by many shops / people / etc. Just sit in the car for 5 minutes then turn the key. It's better to keep the car in gear when you shut down anyway at the track then to use the E brake while the car is red hot.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't see how it would work. The timer would bypass the ignition switch to provide power to the DME, fuel pump, coil and oil cooler fan. But the alarm would see this power as well and not allow itself to be activated, no?

You would have to delve quite deeply into the wiring and probably install some relays or diodes. Easier to just wait a few minutes every time. Perhaps not as cool though!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by phelix
I can't see how it would work. The timer would bypass the ignition switch to provide power to the DME, fuel pump, coil and oil cooler fan. But the alarm would see this power as well and not allow itself to be activated, no?

You would have to delve quite deeply into the wiring and probably install some relays or diodes. Easier to just wait a few minutes every time. Perhaps not as cool though!
Yuck, not worth it. I'll just have to find something to do for a few minutes while waiting for cool-down. As for track use, I never use the e-brake.

Thanks for the responses folks. My suspicions have been confirmed.

Quick Reply: Turbo Timer for a 993TT???