Help, mufflers needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:30 PM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, mufflers needed.

I am getting a '96 993TT in 2 weeks. I found out Friday that instead of the mufflers it has straight pipes which sound great but are unfortunately illegal in New Hampshire. Does anybody have a spare set of mufflers lying around looking for a good home? Any other suggestions? Any suggestions for me if I have to buy a set of mufflers?
Thanks in advance,
Eric
Old 09-16-2006, 11:13 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ESL,

Congrats on your new purchase. How about a few details?

I'm interested in the New Hampshire law... does it go by a sound level reading? Does it simply state "not louder than stock". or does it say "must be unaltered from stock"? Maybe there is some different way to interpret the law.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 PM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

" Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler as defined in RSA 259:66, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a way. " is from the state motor vehicle code so I don't see any way around it unless as Jerry at EPE said "Bring it to an inspection site not familiar with porsches and they may not notice"!
The car is yet another arena red with cashmere interior, sport seats and 21K miles! I have megapictures sent to me by the current owner but will post my own when I get it.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:03 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I'd sure give it a try... The catalytic convertors look an awful like mufflers to all but the most knowledgable eye. Everyone should know that the turbo units themselves serve as the mufflers... this law needs some serious updating. As a last resort, see if a local Rennlister will loan you some mufflers to get past the testing. Its a very simple job to swap them in and out.

Your car sounds great. 21k Miles? Sheesh... don't people know how much fun it is to DRIVE these things?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a set of BB Mufflers. Not sure what they are worth.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:38 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm with Steve, you already have a pair of high RPM, dynamic mufflers

Congrats on the TT!!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:24 AM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I am super excited to get my baby. I had to sell my C4S in January and immediately regretted it. But I used it as a way to upgrade. The car has so few miles because the current owner has a porsche race car for his high speed thrills and tried to be a little low profile during the rest of the time so he put only about 5K miles on it in the past 3 years.
Tim,
I have no idea what the mufflers are worth either. What would you consider selling them for?
Eric
Old 09-17-2006, 12:24 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is to buy a set of RSRs from Robin and just pay the core charge.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:45 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

ESL,

I hope I'm not going to hurt your feelings, but I've seen a couple of Fly Yellow 993s, and they are SPECTACULAR. It must have been very hard to part with that beauty. But take it from me.. an Arena Red 993TT is a very, very nice upgrade. If you really want mufflers to get past the inspection without even trying the bypasses, start a new thread with the subject: "Anyone in New Hampshire area can loan me a pair of 993TT mufflers?". You may be surprised at the responses.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:17 PM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,
No offense taken. My car was drop dead gorgeous. I only sold it to get money since we had to move and the house we were selling had been on the market for 2 years prior to our purchasing it in a good market so I expected to be holding it that long myself. Of course it sold the day it went on the market and I have been kicking myself ever since. I can drown my sorrows in the turbo now!! I think I will try to pass inspection with the bypasses. If it fails, I will then decide if I want mufflers or to swap out each year. Given I have never done much mechanical on a car I will probably go with the mufflers. However, if I can get a good price on mufflers now I will probably just get them just in case.

Quick Reply: Help, mufflers needed.