Sponsored by:

Its an oldie but......

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:04 PM
mark.c
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its an oldie but......

Hi guys, I know its been covered in the past but I had to ask....I have just gone down the LWF and GT2 clutch route and have some concerns. I love the way the engine picks up better and feels much more alive but have now noticed the dreaded 1st gear whine when selecting 1st at low speed.

I always used to occasionaly check this issue when the original FW and clutch where in and never heard a thing!!! I'm not into hard launches and havent changed my driving style since the new LWF was put in.

Could it be that the flywheel is highlighting a bent first gear that was always there or can I sleep at night knowing that, 'they all do that' after the flywheel upgrade.
Well aware that I could be 'living in hope' but having just paid for the clutch I could well do without another large spend !!!!

For info its a 96 tt (I know!!!) with 430 bhp........
Old 09-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Mark,

I have LWF and Turbo Clutch... and have read many posts about the chatter, etc. I don't hear anything different from before the mod....

Sorry not much help.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:12 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mark.c
Could it be that the flywheel is highlighting a bent first gear that was always there or can I sleep at night knowing that, 'they all do that' after the flywheel upgrade.
They all make that sound after the LWF upgrade but if you really want to put your mind at ease post an .mp3 of the sound.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:50 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Bent input shaft noise will be more of a cyclic whine at low speeds such as the speeds you are referring to. Is your noise constant? Does the noise occur while on and off the gas in low gear?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:49 AM
mark.c
Intermediate

Hi guys, the noise I get is after I select 1st at low speed with no throttle, if I let the car coast down by itself then the noise is a definate whine, I'm afraid to say but it almost sounds like straight cut gears.......!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 06:00 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mark.c
Hi guys, the noise I get is after I select 1st at low speed with no throttle, if I let the car coast down by itself then the noise is a definate whine, I'm afraid to say but it almost sounds like straight cut gears.......!!!
The two usual LWF related noises are a) with the gearbox in neutral you'll hear a sound similar to a tincan full of bolts and b) in any gear at a low rpm with the car starting to accelerate, a low frequency groan that goes away as the RPMs increase. The explanation Chris gives sounds more likely.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:57 PM
mark.c
Intermediate

ok guys thank you for all your help.....I have left the problem with my garage for some further digging!! Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Its an oldie but......