Sponsored by:

Think it can be patched?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 05:46 PM
AiRick
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Think it can be patched?

Doing 65 mph on the freeway ... back end starts to fish tail back and forth ... at about 40 mph im backwards and going threw all 3 lanes and exiting the side ... luckly did not hit any one or anything ... This was all from a puncture ! ... Just does not seem right that somthing like this can kill you !!!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:50 PM
bigimp65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are a very lucky man!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:23 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Man that looks awful. How did the puncture occur? It doesn't look like it hurt the car too bad. The wheel doesn't look too hurt either. All and all, you look to have come out pretty good.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, the mind boggles at the implications. That must have been a rather shocking surprise. I've driven about 200,000k in 911s and never had anything but slow leaks. Fingers crossed. Whew!

Bill
Old 05-15-2006, 08:38 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

AiRick,

A little "fix-a-flat", and that tire will be good as new.

I got a puncture in a rear tire at the track, and was lucky to not lose control of the car. You are one lucky boy!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:08 PM
AiRick
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes the wheel was ok a few cratches. Put a new tire on today and spun and wheel is still true. some deep scatches on the fender to be fixed at a later date. Yes lucky I should have gone and bought a lotto ticket on the way home! Not sure when the punture happened but found the hole. I think Ill have a nice drink now...
Old 05-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Holy POOP in your shorts Batman

Glad you are ok. That is the big thing.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

Looks like the puncture was not the cause of the sidewall blowing out. That is typical of a tire that is run at low pressure on the highway. I guess you could say it indirectly caused it. This is a godd reminder for folks to be dilligent about checking their tire pressures. Glad you're ok.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:18 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by phaedrus242
Looks like the puncture was not the cause of the sidewall blowing out. That is typical of a tire that is run at low pressure on the highway. I guess you could say it indirectly caused it. This is a godd reminder for folks to be dilligent about checking their tire pressures. Glad you're ok.

Tell me about it!!! I was once racing my brother down the slip road of the motorway one time, totally irresponsible speed, and at about 150mph or so the rear left tire just exploded, my brother thought the engine had blown up!! The car wiggled a bit but wasn't too hard to control, what was left of the side walls was almost melting hot!! The tyre garage said it was DEFINATELY down to being too soft. CHECK YOUR PRESSURES!!

Gald your OK by the way!!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:37 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I was surprised how easy it is to drive on a flat tire. I had a puncture on the last lap of an SCCA National at Talladega and managed to run the whole lap with a totally flat RR tire. I was leading - it was worth the risk Ended up 3rd. Took off about 20 mph off top speed on the straight. All that was left at the end was 2 beads held together by a few radial cords. No sidewalls, no tread. Wheel was usable after a little smoothing with a wire wheel.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Throw a tube in it.

MK
Old 05-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodster
Throw a tube in it.
MK
Marty, you are not serious, are you? These are not the bicycles we used to ride 43 years ago or so (or 25 for you )! These things go at 190mph
Old 05-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Woodster
Drifting

No Jean, I was not serious. I actually have knowlege in this area (although it is old now).
My Step-father who raised me was the #1 Michelin Dealer in the Midwest (Minnesota,
Wisconsin, Illinois), and I worked on Cars and truck's tires for 7 years before and during
college. I changed any kind of tire and rim including the lovely old "split-rims" that we
were supposed to change while shielded in a metal cage! I put hundreds and hundreds of
old Michelin XWX and XVS on Bimmers, Porsches, and Jags in the 70's and fixed hundreds of flats.
Since I am a bit of a perfectionist, I would rather throw away a questionable "injury"
to a tire (whether in the tread or the sidewall) than risk ANY performance compromise.
I even wore the wonderful BIBENDUM SUIT at trade shows.
The other thing I did was "on the car tire balancing" using a electric
spinner and a strobe light (anybody remember those?) and did alot
of race team (formula fords) tires.

Marty

Marty K
Old 05-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Just to stay on topic, Rick, good to hear you are ok. I see issues like these all the time in this hot country, typical overinflating, heat and poor tire conditions.. I lost a friend last year in his 996TT because of a flat at high speed. Please check your tires very often.

I put hundreds and hundreds of
old Michelin XWX and XVS on Bimmers, Porsches, and Jags in the 70's and fixed hundreds of flats.
So it WAS more like 43 years ago that you drove bicycles!!
I even wore the wonderful BIBENDUM SUIT at trade shows.
Marty K
Marty, post a picture and your next spark plug change to Iridium is on me ...and oil change!
Cheers
Old 05-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Woodster
Drifting

I will have my mother search her picture drawer for me as BiB.

MK

Quick Reply: Think it can be patched?