Sponsored by:

Where is the market.....$$, supply & demand

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:43 PM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the market.....$$, supply & demand

Just interested in hearing what others have to say, including our brethren across the Atlantic. It would appear that the supply is pretty low across the board but I do not have a real good feel for this b/c of my mid-western location and only source is the auto trader type sites.

I don't know about values, are the stable or going up ? even the private party prices are surprising, although they are just asking price.

Any imput would be welcome, am weighing some possibilities/options and I'm alittle perplexed. TIA
Old 04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 993TT

I have had my mint condition 97 TT sliver/black/23K miles for sale over 3 months and am asking what I consider is a fair price. I only get internet tire kickers who want to see pics. Real buyers go to see vehicles if interested. Yes there maybe limited for sale supply but the # of buyers for these cars in the 70s is I beleieve very small. IMHO.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think they have become too expensive, for a nice model at least. The depreciation of the 996TT has made that a more viable alternative to alot of people, IMHO.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i agree with the above, its going to be hard to find many people to pay 75k for these cars, despite the limited supply of nice cars - b/c that price buys you alot of car (996tt, or a not very used 996gt3, etc).
Ive seen nice cars in the upper 60s and they still sit for a while.

Clearly you have to find the buyer that is a 993 fanatic on an emotional level.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
i agree with the above, its going to be hard to find many people to pay 75k for these cars, despite the limited supply of nice cars - b/c that price buys you alot of car (996tt, or a not very used 996gt3, etc).
Ive seen nice cars in the upper 60s and they still sit for a while.

Clearly you have to find the buyer that is a 993 fanatic on an emotional level.
IMO, you won't find many 996TT's or GT3's in the $70's that had not lead a hard life... at least not yet. Post up if you know of any as I have a friend that is looking to trade his 993.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloth
IMO, you won't find many 996TT's or GT3's in the $70's that had not lead a hard life... at least not yet. Post up if you know of any as I have a friend that is looking to trade his 993.
There are 7 01/02 CPO 996TT coupes on the Porsche website for under $80K. 4 silver, 2 red, one blue.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:31 PM
iborroel
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sloth: Like robroy72 mentioned there are some 01/02 CPO 996TTs on the Porsche website. I have seen these as well since I am constantly looking. Unfortunately most of the ones he mentioned are Tiptronic but these cars can be had for under $80K.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a pretty awesome 996TT for $70K right now on 6 Bling. Looks to me like a great deal for the money. LINK (No affiliation of course)

Greg H.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:47 PM
79hotrod
Intermediate

I noticed a more than expected 96/97 tt's on rennlist and PCA mart. Several nice ones with some good mods in the mid-high 60's. I paid 70 for a heavily modded 96 with lots of extra goodies and all orig parts too, I still feel like I got a good deal. There just aren't that many out there, the market is overloaded with 996's and people want to get out of them. There are also plenty out there who sold their 993tt for a 996tt and regret the decision.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:58 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

If the car is stock with no accidents or paintwork and a good history (service records etc) then I think it'll easily sell in the 70's. I'd definitely post info on it here and on the 993 board as well as ebay. You could also talk to Premier, RPM, and the other national dealers. If you want a quick sale, I suspect they'd be interested buyers.

If you have accident history or something else off about your car, I'd expect a $10K penalty at least. The buyers in the 70s and up are looking for pristine cars and are willing to pay a premium for them.

996TTs are going to take a big hit in the next few years when the 997TT comes to market and because Porsche built so many of them. The normally-aspirated cars are already seeing the nice 993 examples selling for more than a lot of newer 996s.

Originally Posted by rmauro
I have had my mint condition 97 TT sliver/black/23K miles for sale over 3 months and am asking what I consider is a fair price. I only get internet tire kickers who want to see pics. Real buyers go to see vehicles if interested. Yes there maybe limited for sale supply but the # of buyers for these cars in the 70s is I beleieve very small. IMHO.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:04 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Use eBay to sell it. Keep you reserve price high and see what happens. eBay is a great marketing tool. Every RPM, Richard Sloan, et al will be contacting you for sure with a car like that. They'll ask low $80s easy, and may even have buyers already. Worst case, some of the folks may come back after the auction. I have done this a few times and it works great. Also mention that you reserve the right to end the auction at any time, yada, yada, yada

Old 04-20-2006, 08:56 PM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Which silver is it?Arctic silver seems to be more popular than polar.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

96's are Polar and 97's are Arctic as standard.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:24 PM
tlark
Drifting

Where has you car been advertised and what are you asking if you don't mind. Also, 3 months since you started would mean your car wenmt up 4 sale in Jan. Not the best time IMO.

Still kind of confused but the points made are valid. It makes me wonder if the RPM's & Premiers of the world have turned off some buyers from even looking with there retail pricing. I would consider my car somewhat like yours all be it with 25k in miles and black, although the 97MY do comand somewhat more respect.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:49 AM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 97 993TT

Car has been for sale here and on PCA web site for about three months- I had one ?? buyer at 73K and I passed couple of weeks ago. I thought the correct price for a car as mint cosmetically and mechanically was 75K. He wouldnt move but agreed on the condition and said he was real? SO THE 64 MILLION? IS TO YOU TT FIENDS WHAT IS THE REAL PRICE FOR A CAR AS SUCH- RPM ETC ARE ADVERTISING IN THE 80S AND I DONT BELIEVE THEY WILL/CAN GET THOSE PRICES. IMHO - YOUR THOUGHTS

Quick Reply: Where is the market.....$$, supply & demand