Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopping with high MOD engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006 | 10:49 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any time you are into ABS you are increasing your stopping distance when compared to threshold braking. Just don't do it
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:10 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Any time you are into ABS you are increasing your stopping distance when compared to threshold braking. Just don't do it
Good point, except threshold braking is the point before lock up. You won't get lock up on an ABS car unless it comes to a standstill. I don't like driving to the point of ABS becasue it throws off my timing. Since most modern sports cars have ABS, intructors are hard pressed to teach threshold braking. I guess what I'm saying is ABS is threshold braking which modulates a pedal much faster than most anyone on this board, with the exception of Scott Mellor.
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:45 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

But, if you depend on ABS, even though it is pulsing, it is actually locking up just a tiny bit on each pulse. This is why you will get a shorter braking distance with threshold braking that you will if you just mash the brake pedal and stop under ABS.

ABS is not designed to shorten braking distance, it is designed to make sure you have steering control while braking.

I find that the best braking is to use threshold braking. It's just easier to do when you have ABS and you can't make a mistake and flatspot a tire.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:20 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jsandak
After reading all the posts all I find is that everyone talks about speed. Do any of you guys ever DE your cars or do you all just wash them (as your pics would imply) and pick up your dry cleaning?
Porsche turbos are primarily conceived as fast road cars - they are always going to be too heavy to be real track cars.
A tuned Porsche turbo when used for what it was designed for is King of the road.
Saturday morning, just finished giving it a wash, head off to pick up your dry cleaning which happens to be at the end of a 50 mile autobahn run. Cruising at 140mph you have a CGT behind you and an SL65 behind him you slow for a 75mph limited stretch (around a junction) everyone tucks in and slows behind you, this is Germany, the limits are obeyed (most of the time ). The white circle with black diagonal line is ahead, you put it in fourth and creep up to 85mph.
As you pass the delimit you nail it, peak torque at 4500rpm winds the boost on your modified tt round to 1.4bar, 800+NM are sent through the drivetrain, you wring it out to 7000rpm, in 5th same again.

The CGT is left in a torqueless zone as he shifts cogs to multiply his torque so he can stay with your rapidly dissapearing classic rear end. The SL65 despite being modified does not stand a chance in this company.

At 170mph everyone adopts a cruise, the tt pulls over and gives due respect to the CGT then indicates to come off as he nearly misses the exit to his dry cleaners.
Old 04-18-2006 | 09:49 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

im running BHP pads and stock rotors. These seem fine for me for DE events as an advanced intermediate level driver .. no fade and the rotors are not overly abused. I found the pagid orange pads were very hard on my rotors. I am not nearly as good a driver as others on this board.
Old 04-18-2006 | 12:27 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Jim, That was not the ABS, that was my teeth chattering.
Old 04-19-2006 | 02:18 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

"The CGT is left in a torqueless zone as he shifts cogs to multiply his torque "

TB that was poetic.
Old 04-19-2006 | 10:33 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Jim, That was not the ABS, that was my teeth chattering.
Old 04-19-2006 | 01:45 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

14" Brembos (thanks Mellor) that I have not put to a serious test yet. Just from street driving these have a much better and more powerful feel than the big reds on my C4S.
Old 04-19-2006 | 04:38 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Scott,

50$ you're suffering cleanliness disorder..

Quick Reply: Stopping with high MOD engines