993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling My 993TT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006 | 03:58 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

plus cpo warranties are not the same as new car warranties and don't cover everything!
Old 04-15-2006 | 12:59 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Lease a 02 /03 996tt Porsche certified with min . drive off's and try a dealership which uses the Lease prophet to figure out who has the best residual/money factor but on used cars Porsche credit is sometimes hard to beat. Sell the 993tt and stash whatever net you get (in case there is a balance) in the bank or your upcoming townhome.

In other words make a business not a emotional decision .
Old 04-15-2006 | 01:16 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Ignacio,

I think you had considered selling waldo before (few months back) and at that time it was because you were losing a tennant in one of your property in TX. And now again you are selling Waldo because of repair/maintenance and for piece of mind... IMHO, I think you thought you wanted a 993TT but after having a 993TT you've simply changed your mind and discover that you rather be in a newer 996TT... that's cool and I wish Waldo will find a new home and you get a sweet 996TT. This won't be the first time that 993TT owners have gone to the dark side and it won't be the last time that a ex 993TT owner regret selling. Good Luck!!
Old 04-15-2006 | 01:33 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Air Kuul TT: The tenant thing worked out. There is nothing I have to worry about on that end. Thankfully. I love everything about the 993TT but the 996TT with a warranty is hard to pass up. I know I would regret selling the 993TT if and when I do.
Old 04-15-2006 | 03:56 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sure is a beauty...are you sure you want to do this?
Old 04-15-2006 | 07:48 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Keep the 993, I could have spent the money on a 996, but why, if you have the money for either one you can muster the service, and when you take into account that the 993 will depreciate a crap load less , or even at all, versus the 996 which will continue to drop, the money issue is gone. So if you like the new car better fine, if not , keep the twin puffer that breathes AIR.. JMHO
Old 04-15-2006 | 12:02 PM
tlark
Drifting

I would add you need to "resist the force for the dark side" young skywalker. Seriously, if you really want to move over to something else I do not fault you.

I am fighting temptations myself with respect to mine and its possible that I my sell too.

I feel there is no replacement for these cars or the feel its just I will find it hard to drive mine this summer short of some DE's, its sounds like yours can give a lot of trouble free enjoyment now you have it right so don't make a decision based on your emotion unless its a $ thing but if you have to sell it someone will get agood one.
Old 04-15-2006 | 06:42 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ignacio

Not sure if this comes too late, but here's my .2c worth...

Everyone on this forum will know the pain my car caused me for the first few months of ownership... I think I had every gremlin that was ever mentioned.... but, after much cash, much work and many Rennlist questions and answers (thanks again everyone ) the car is running smoothly. And I would not change her for anything now.

That said, there is no doubt that the 996TT is a lot of car, and does do things a little better than the 993TT... sure. But there is a cost. The cost is soul. I'm sorry but the 996TT just does not have one. I have got out of my car and into a 996TT on a drive day and drove for 5 mins before wishing I was back in my car. At the next stop I couldn't wait to change back. The 993TT is a king of the last of the air cooled, passion built, beautifully crafted, well built, masterpieces. It is destined to be a classic imho, the 996 is not.

OK... that was more than .2c, but there you go. Whatever your decision, you are a Rennlister, and that makes you special nonetheless!!
Old 04-15-2006 | 06:49 PM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

I suggest you ask a different question, what things or cars have you sold that you had this debate going on.. I still regret selling a 86 Iris Blue 911 cab with 8k miles on it, I can kick myself, I got unbelievable money, but sometimes that is not it... Having owned a 996tt, and having a 996 Targa now, wifemobile that is, I can tell you this maybe one of those decisions you look back on in dismay..

I have been offered a bunch of money for my tt S and my 491, but I know myself well enough now and the cars well enough that I would be pissed offf later on it life if I succumbed.

In short think hard man, think hard.
Old 04-15-2006 | 08:13 PM
ncp
Rennlist Member

Ignacio,

Nick, here. Sorry I missed you at the local get together in Issaquah last week. Did you get your car back in time to go?

A couple thoughts I might add.

First off, I take it you've driven a 996? And if so, I presume you must like it equal to, if not better than the 993? Secondly, although trouble free (warranty) maintanence/breakage issues might be somewhat of a thing of the past with a newer car like a 996, don't forget that what is once new becomes old again. In just a few years, your newer 996 will eventually be out of warranty, and you'll be left to fend for yourself once again or step up to a newer car, ie. 997, and so on so forth.

With this in mind, I think the question is pretty simple. Would you rather maintain, fix and own a 993 or continue to step to newer cars once every three or four years? Notwithstanding that in the long run, I think that sticking with your 993 will be cheaper, it's still a matter of whether the 993 appeals to you more or not.

For me, I had driven and tracked a number of Porsche's from older 911's, a 993 C4S, my cousin's 997 (awesome car by the way) and been around a number of my cousin's racing cup cars. Having said that, the decision was clear in my mind. It took me nearly a year, but after making a run at two out of state cars, I finally found the low mileage 97' black/black, 993tt right in my back yard here in Seattle. One owner, 8,300 miles, never tracked... completely stock and just a cream puff. I paid a premium, but with that, hope to not have too many unexpected breakage issues to contend with.

Lastly, I recently took my car in to have a set of PSS9's installed. My mechanic insisted on my taking his 996 for the day as a loaner. Now having never driven a 996, I was pretty blown away at the difference. Had I not known that I was in a Porsche, someone could have told me I was in a Mazda, Nissan or Acura and I would have believed them. Don't get me wrong, nice car, but drastically different in that it most notably lacked the visceral feel of my 993. Those cars are night and day different and I quite honestly couldn't wait to get back into my 993.

Good luck with your decision and I hope to hook-up with you sometime soon. If you still have my number and want to discuss further, feel free to give me a call.

Nick
Old 05-17-2006 | 09:33 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

I'm surprised that with all the 993TTs selling that someone would have been interested in Waldo. Oh well.
Old 05-19-2006 | 11:31 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Looks like a great car, if I hadn't already made a deal for one I might be interested. I think the mods and higher milage might spook a few guys, but it actually looks like a very solid car.
Old 05-19-2006 | 01:31 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

C4S Surgeon: It is a higher mileage car but it is in great condition. The engine has been resealed, including the valve covers which were previoulsy done by a different shop (before I owned it). The leakdown numbers were only 2.5%-4%. At the same time I put in a LWF and Sachs Motorsports clutch. The plugs, plug wires, cap & rotor and air filter were all changed. There isn't anything left to do to the car. It's ready to go. I guess I'll just keep on enjoying the drive.
Old 05-19-2006 | 02:00 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

No doubt it's a great car, I'm just speculating why it hasn't sold yet. Who knows, maybe I'll make an offer if my other deal falters.
Old 05-19-2006 | 02:10 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Chris,
I'm the previous owner of Waldo, and can vouch for the condition of that car. I only sold Waldo because Rufus fell into my lap. Waldo was a real keeper, and I think Ignacio is nutty for selling him.

Quick Reply: Selling My 993TT!